‘Flight of Fantasy’: Uber to introduce electric flying taxi network by 2020
The San Francisco-based transportation network company envisions an on-demand service, Uber Elevate, that could take to the skies at up to 150 mph within a decade.
Uber has deals with five companies working on aircraft development - Aurora Flight Sciences, Pipistrel, Bell Helicopter, Embraer and Mooney. Aurora said it conducted the first test flight of a VTOL prototype last week, and plans to deliver 50 aircraft to Uber for testing by 2020.
While the technology is largely unproven, Uber believes the service will eventually cost about the same as its car rides.
The proposed vehicles - electric vertical takeoff and landing, or VTOLs - look more like drones than cars. They run on electric propulsion, reducing the cost and noise of helicopters.
Expanding on ideas first published in a white paper last October, the company said the electric vehicles will take off and land vertically like a helicopter, with zero emissions and minimal noise.
In a statement, Uber added the goal was to "enable customers in the future to push a button and get a high-speed flight in and around cities."
But Uber is not alone in the quest to turn fantasy into reality. On Monday, aerospace startup Kitty Hawk unveiled its long-awaited flying car. The Kitty Hawk Flyer, an ultralight aircraft that is only able to fly over water, should be available for purchase by the end of the year.
The company believes its vision for flying taxis will make air transportation a part of our daily lives in the future.
- PM Imran warns of Srebrenica like massacre in IOJ&K similar to as ...10:55 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- School of Tomorrow – The World's Premier Schools & Societies ...10:08 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- 10 new COVID-19 rapid response units inaugurated through Pakistan-US ...09:58 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 247,000 cases of coronavirus – 5,157 confirmed ...09:03 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan Stock Exchange returns to regular operational hours on Monday08:48 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Aisha Uqbah Malik pens a heartwarming birthday wish for husband04:27 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi criticises Muslims encouraging conversion of other ...03:58 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Feroze Khan celebrates his 30th birthday03:10 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020