Top court scraps contempt petitions against PM Abbasi, Nawaz Sharif
A bench, headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, also declared the petitions against them ineffective and ordered to dismis the cases.
In response, the Chief Justice remarked that Abbasi had given statement regarding ongoing corruption references filed by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) against members of Sharif family.
How a statement regarding NAB does references come under contempt of court, the top judge enquired. Therefore, the court dismissed the petitions.
The petitions were filed by Sheikh Ahsanuddin, a member of the Justice and Democratic Party, against the Pakistan Muslime League – Nawaz bigwigs.
Currently, the contempt cases against Federal Interior Minister Tallal Chaudhry and privatization minister Daniyal Aziz are still pending with the top court.
On April 23, Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar hinted at re-interpreting the contempt law in order to award stricter punishments to offenders.
SC vocalises intention to make contempt law ... 09:02 AM | 24 Apr, 2018
ISLAMABAD - As the Supreme Court of Pakistan is seized with various contempt of court cases some against sitting ...
“We may interpret Article 204 of the Constitution independent of the provisions of the contempt of court ordinance (COCO) 2003 in a way that the sentence awarded to a guilty of disrespecting courts would continue till he purges before the court”, remarked the chief justice on Monday while hearing a case regarding roughing up former chief justice of the apex court Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry by police on March 13, 2007.
The Article 204 read with COCO, 2003 authorises the top court to start proceedings against individuals for scandalising courts. The court can award the maximum six-month jail term or a fine up to Rs100,000 by invoking Section 5 of COCO, 2003.
There was a possibility the court might opt to send anyone to prison for an indefinite period, Express Tribune reported.
- Burj Khalifa turns white and green to mark Pakistan’s Independence ...11:23 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Taliban welcome Indian decision to return embassy staff to Kabul10:49 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- In Independence Day message, Blinken calls for further strengthening ...10:28 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- One died, scores injured in Karachi during celebratory gunfire on ...09:12 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Much awaited trailer of 'The Legend of Maula Jatt' FINALLY released08:45 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Celebs celebrate Pakistan’s Independence Day07:39 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022