On anniversary of first confirmed case, Pakistan marks 12,772 COVID-19 deaths
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan marked one year since its first confirmed case of the coronavirus on Friday –the same day 22-year-old Yahya Jaffery arrived from Iran and ended up being the first carrier of the Covid-19 virus in the South Asian country.
According to data available on the National Command and Operation Centre's (NCOC) Covid-19 dashboard, the country recorded a total of 575,941 cases and 12,772 deaths since the onset of the pandemic.
Sindh topped the chart with the highest number of positive cases. A total of 257,089 people tested positive in the province, followed by Punjab with 169,474, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) with 71,490, and Balochistan with 19,010 cases. As the cases increased, the government imposed lockdowns and then successfully experimented with smarter restrictions in hotspot areas.
Over the past 24 hours, thirty-two more people died of COVID-19 and 1,541 new cases reported across the country. According to the latest statistics, there are now 22285 active cases in the country while 542,393 patients have so far recovered from this disease.
Sindh reports first coronavirus death taking ... 12:49 PM | 20 Mar, 2020
KARACHI - Sindh Health Minister Dr Azra Fazal Pechuho has confirmed a death related to coronavirus in the province. The ...
After a yearlong struggle against the novel coronavirus, Pakistan received its first shot of vaccine on February 1, 2021.
However, the country has yet to secure substantive volumes of vaccines from any company and this month launched a vaccination drive with 500,000 doses of Sinopharm’s vaccine donated by China. Those shots are first being given out to frontline health workers on a priority basis.
Last month, Minister for Planning, Development and Special Initiatives Asad Umar said the federal government would not hold a monopoly on the import of vaccines. “The provinces and the private sector are free to import vaccines subject to approval of the Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (Drap),” he had said.
The Drap has so far approved three vaccines for use in Pakistan — China’s Sinopharm, Russia’s Sputnik V and the Oxford University-AstraZeneca.
Pakistan’s first coronavirus vaccine centre ... 06:26 PM | 8 Jan, 2021
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan has established its first coronavirus vaccination centre in Taralai area of the federal ...
- Hundreds of Indian devotees contract COVID-19 at Kumbh festival06:00 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- In world first, New Zealand to roll out climate change law05:40 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Rangers deployed in Punjab districts amid violent TLP protests05:22 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- US state secretary discusses Afghanistan drawdown plan with Pakistan ...05:11 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Fakhar Zaman, Shaheen Afridi reach career-best ODI rankings04:51 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Sami Khan tests positive for COVID-1903:05 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Atif Aslam set to release a new naat this Ramadan03:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Saba Qamar spends quality time with family post her breakup02:01 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021
- Ten New IPO Billionaires in 202107:59 PM | 8 Apr, 2021