Kashmiri activist Khurram Parvez released by Indian court
The release came after the authorities failed to provide any evidence against Pervez who got arrested two months ago as he was heading to Geneva for attending a conference.
The 39-years-old Khurram Parvez, coordinator of the Jammu Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society (JKCCS) has long campaigned against human rights violations committed by state forces in the restive Himalayan region of Jammu and Kashmir.
Human rights groups deplored his arrest in September, as well as the United Nations, who said Parvez's detention was a deliberate attempt by Indian authorities to bar him from working.
The Jammu and Kashmir High Court quashed the detention order against Parvez saying police had exploited their position and did not have enough evidence to detain the activist.
“What emerges is that the detention of (Parvez) is not only illegal but the detaining authority has abused its powers in ordering his detention,” said an order by Justice M H Attar.
Police officials however kept mum over the decision besides failing to confirm as to when his release would be executed.
Parvez was stopped by authorities at New Delhi airport on September 14 when he was on his way to Geneva to attend the UN Human Rights Council.
Dozens of civilians have been killed and thousands wounded in months of clashes between protesters and security forces in Kashmir state, sparked by the killing of a fighter Burhan Wani.
- Seven family members go missing after car swept away by flood in Sindh11:32 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Covid-19: Pakistan reports 578 news cases, two deaths in last 24 hours10:46 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- #Islamabad police get #ShahbazGill’s custody after hours-long ...09:16 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- PAKvNED – Pakistan take on Netherlands in second ODI today08:44 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Maria B lauds Lahore school for removing trans activist Dr Mehrub ...09:56 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Meera shares 'words of wisdom' with fans09:06 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Naseebo Lal rocks the audience at US concert08:44 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022