Pakistan, Japan sign debt suspension agreements amounting to $367 million
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan and Japan signed debt suspension agreements amounting to $ 367 million under the G-20 Debt Service Suspension Initiative (Phase-I).
Noor Ahmed, Secretary, Economic Affairs Division and Kuninori Matsuda, Ambassador of Japan to Pakistan signed these agreements in Islamabad. The signing ceremony was witnessed by senior officials of Japanese Embassy.
In the wake of COVID-19, the G20 countries, together with the Paris Club creditors, announced a Debt Service Suspension Initiative (DSSI) to provide much needed fiscal space to stressed countries in order to meet their urgent economic and health needs.
The Government of Pakistan, taking advantage of this initiative, entered into negotiations with 21 creditor countries for debt suspension amounting to US$ 1.6 Billion under DSSI Phase-I (April – December, 2020). Pakistan will repay the suspended amount in 4-years starting January, 2022.
On this occasion, Secretary, EAD reiterated his appreciation for the debt suspension provided by Japanese Government.
He highlighted that Japan is the 2nd largest bilateral lender to Pakistan. He also thanked the Government of Japan for its generous support for fighting against COVID-19 pandemic. He lauded that Japan’s timely support helped Pakistan save lives & livelihoods of millions during the testing times.
He also acknowledged continued support of Japan for health, education, agriculture, infrastructure, disaster management and urban services including water supply, sanitation and waste management.
While speaking on the occasion, Ambassador Matsuda also reaffirmed Japanese support to Pakistan on issues of mutual interest. Japanese economic assistance has played and shall continue to play a vital role in the socioeconomic uplift of Pakistan, he added. Both sides reiterated strong commitment towards further expanding bilateral economic cooperation.
- TokyoOlympics2020: #LamontMarcellJacobs creates history as first ...11:58 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prayer leader arrested for attempt to rape two minor girls in ...11:27 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Pakistan to get 3.5mn doses of Chinese COVID vaccines in two days: ...10:49 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- WATCH: COVID SOPs go for a toss at PTI MNA daughter’s big fat ...10:27 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:47 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Mustafa Qureshi, wife Rubina Qureshi test positive for coronavirus04:47 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Alizeh Shah’s flying kiss video in bold dress goes viral04:21 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Katrina Kaif wins over internet with superb dance moves (VIDEO)02:40 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021