FIA raids Anwar Majeed's sugar mill as money laundering probe continues
KARACHI - A Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) team currently investigating a money laundering case against former president Asif Ali Zardari and others conducted a raid on a sugar mill owned by a PPP leader's ally in Badin district on Sunday, seizing important documents and arms.
According to a senior official of the agency, the sugar mill in question is owned by Omni Group Chairman Anwar Majeed who happens to be a close confidante of Zardari and was arrested on the directives of the Supreme Court.
The official detailed that seven Kalashnikovs, four semi-automatic rifles, two digital video recorders, 27 hard discs, one virtual storage device and financial files and ledgers were confiscated during the raid.
All seized weapons were handed over to local police for verification purpose, the official said in a conversation with Dawn News.
Another FIA official highlighted that the purpose of the raid was to recover documents to gauge the wealth statements of Majeed.
The official continued that during the preliminary probe it was unearthed that the Omni Group owned 10 sugar mills, various companies and some agriculture farms spanning over thousands of acres in Sindh.
Majeed is one of the co-accused in the Rs35 billion fake bank accounts scam for which the apex court is also conducting a speedy trial.
The top court would resume hearing the case this week. Meanwhile, former president Asif Ali Zardari and his sister Faryal Talpur have been issued fourth notice by FIA to appear before it on Monday.
- Pakistan's Army Chief meets AJK President to discuss Kashmir situation04:48 PM | 21 Jan, 2020
- Sikandar Sultan Raja to be appointed as new Chief Election ...04:34 PM | 21 Jan, 2020
- The team of "Zindagi Tamasha" cancels Karachi meet and greets in ...03:23 PM | 21 Jan, 2020
- Pakistani human rights activist Tahira Abdullah educates Khalilur ...02:26 PM | 21 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019