Pakistani envoy briefs UNGA president about Kashmiris' ordeal under India's lockdown
UNITED NATIONS – Pakistani Ambassador Maleeha Lodhi met the United Nations General Assembly President Maria Fernanda Espinosa, on Monday and briefed her on the grave situation in Indian Occupied Kashmir , which is reeling under tight lockdown for the past 23 days.
Ambassador Lodhi met the 193-member Assembly president at UN Headquarters in New York on her return from a foreign tour.
The meeting with Ms Espinosa was a part of the Pakistani envoy's continuing efforts to brief top UN officials and diplomat since August 5 when India 's annexed occupied Kashmir . Pakistan denounced the "illegal" Indian move, saying it violates international law, and that the UN must intervene.
In a tweet, Ambassador Lodhi said she briefed the UNGA president "in detail about the grave situation in occupied Kashmir where the continuing curfew and lockdown is exacerbating the suffering of the Kashmiri people.
Met Maria Fernanda Espinosa , President of UN General Assembly & briefed her in detail about the grave situation in occupied Kashmir where the continuing curfew & lockdown is exacerbating the suffering of the Kashmiri people.UN should live up to its obligations on IOK pic.twitter.com/dF6IZVJJh5— Maleeha Lodhi (@LodhiMaleeha) August 27, 2019
"Residents of occupied Kashmir are facing acute shortage of life-saving medicines, essential commodities including baby food as they remain besieged in what has become the world's biggest prison. All internet, communications services and tv channels are closed in the region.
The UN has long maintained an institutional presence in the disputed state, with the areas under separate administration, divided by the Line of Control. The UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) observes and reports on any ceasefire violations.
- PTI govt opens process for privatisation of public entities09:55 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- ATC acquits 40 accused in Youhanabad lynching cases09:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Zameen.com ready to hold Karachi Expo on February 1 and 208:18 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Ufone felicitates KPC’s new leadership08:12 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- 'Anti-state' Facebook posts: Lahore journalist's bail plea rejected07:54 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Priyanka Chopra in final talks to join The Matrix 403:19 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Humayun Saeed thanks fans for showering love on MPTH's team02:49 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Shah Rukh Khan's Pakistani cousin passes away in Peshawar02:15 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019