Pakistani envoy briefs UNGA president about Kashmiris' ordeal under India's lockdown
Ambassador Lodhi met the 193-member Assembly president at UN Headquarters in New York on her return from a foreign tour.
The meeting with Ms Espinosa was a part of the Pakistani envoy's continuing efforts to brief top UN officials and diplomat since August 5 when India's annexed occupied Kashmir. Pakistan denounced the "illegal" Indian move, saying it violates international law, and that the UN must intervene.
In a tweet, Ambassador Lodhi said she briefed the UNGA president "in detail about the grave situation in occupied Kashmir where the continuing curfew and lockdown is exacerbating the suffering of the Kashmiri people.
Met Maria Fernanda Espinosa , President of UN General Assembly & briefed her in detail about the grave situation in occupied Kashmir where the continuing curfew & lockdown is exacerbating the suffering of the Kashmiri people.UN should live up to its obligations on IOK pic.twitter.com/dF6IZVJJh5— Maleeha Lodhi (@LodhiMaleeha) August 27, 2019
"Residents of occupied Kashmir are facing acute shortage of life-saving medicines, essential commodities including baby food as they remain besieged in what has become the world's biggest prison. All internet, communications services and tv channels are closed in the region.
The UN has long maintained an institutional presence in the disputed state, with the areas under separate administration, divided by the Line of Control. The UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) observes and reports on any ceasefire violations.
- Northern’s Haider Ali trends on Twitter after blasting batting in ...06:42 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Indian national held for crossing into Pakistan illegally, booked ...05:55 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Vice Admiral Amjad Niazi appointed new Pakistan Navy chief05:33 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- PTI’s Firdous Naqvi resigns as Sindh opposition leader05:22 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- The fault is not in our laws, our mindset needs to change: Mehwish ...02:59 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Rhea Chakraborty 'an active member of a drug syndicate:' NCB02:26 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Lion King sequel officially in the works01:46 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020