Woman jailed for killing newborn son after giving him birth at work
Kimberly Pappas was sentenced to 9 to 20 years in prison. The Wyandotte woman earlier pleaded guilty to second-degree murder under an agreement with prosecutors to drop charges including felony murder and child abuse.
"The pain and regret I have over this really can't be put into words," Pappas said.
Police said the baby was discovered on March 31 at Pappas' desk after his birth in the restroom of business in Wayne County's Redford Township.
An autopsy determined the infant lived for 20 to 30 minutes and died of suffocation. His death was ruled a homicide.
The Detroit News reported that Pappas had previously denied her pregnancy, according to her sister and co-worker, Cassandra Pappas; she never purchased baby items and didn't discuss options such as abortion or adoption.
Her father, James Pappas, said his family had "unconditional love" for her and would be there when she was released, WDIV-TV reported.
"Kimberly, we love you very much," he said. "We will support you with as many visits as we can."
- AirBlue surprises passengers with huge cut in domestic flight fares02:32 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- ‘Marry, divorce, remarry’ – Man weds same woman four times for ...02:20 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- PIA all set to start direct flights from Karachi to Skardu01:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Hong Kong bans flights from Pakistan, other countries over fears of ...01:20 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Hiba Bukhari wins hearts by reciting Naat07:23 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas appointed goodwill ambassador by Turkey03:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021