SC orders removal of Dr Asim's name from ECL
The order was passed as the former petroleum minister had moved a petition seeking permission to travel abroad on medical grounds.
A three member bench of the top court headed by Justice Dost Muhammad Khan ordered the interior ministry to struck off Asim's name from ECL while scraping the verdict issued by Sindh High Court.
The court ordered Asim to travel back to the country after receiving treatment and gave a one month time period to him in this regard.
Asim who was represented by his counsel Latif Khosa was also ordered to submit surety bonds worth Rs6 million.
In his one-page petition on August 16, Asim had contended that had fixed a doctor’s appointment for Aug 24 and sought the top court to fix early hearing of his case.
Dr. Asim — a former minister and close confidante of former president Asif Ali Zardari — faces trial in two cases of alleged corruption of over Rs450 billion and another of allegedly facilitating and treating terrorists at his medical facility — Dr. Ziauddin Hospital.
He was released from the sub-jail at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre in Karachi on March 31 this year after obtaining bail in all the cases lodged against him.
He was initially arrested by the Rangers in August 2015 and detained for around 90 days. He was later transferred into police custody.
- Conflict between PPP and Cynthia Ritchie intensifies after denial of ...08:22 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PML-N’s Khawaja Salman Rafique contracts coronavirus08:11 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- What Nawaz Sharif's doing in his latest picture from London07:37 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PIA directed to control fares after overcharging complaints07:13 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PTI MNA tests positive for coronavirus as health crisis deepens in ...06:35 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Zaheer Abbas looks like Money Heist‘s 'Professor’, says Mehwish ...02:24 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Pakistani celebrities who never endorsed fairness products01:50 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020