UK formally starts Brexit process after triggering Article 50
British Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed that the UK has triggered Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, initiating a legal process that must end in during a period of two years with UK leaving the EU.
"This is an historic moment for which there can be no turning back. Britain is leaving the European Union. We will make our own decisions and our own laws," May told the House of Commons in London.
A few minutes earlier in Brussels, the British Permanent Representative to the EU, Sir Tim Barrow, handed over a formal letter of notification to Donald Tusk, the President of the European Council.
The British PM has vowed to weather the storm of leaving the EU's single market and customs union, essentially a free-trade zone that the country will no longer be a part of.
- No plans to remove power, fuel subsidies ahead of IMF talks: Finance ...04:29 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Pakistan begins nationwide polio immunisation campaign after ...03:51 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Govt decides to complete term amid deepening political, economic ...03:45 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Nora Fatehi’s new bold dance video at beach goes viral03:23 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Resham slams Imran Khan over sexist remarks against Maryam Nawaz12:16 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Dollar hits all-time high at Rs19212:45 PM | 12 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022