UK formally starts Brexit process after triggering Article 50
British Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed that the UK has triggered Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, initiating a legal process that must end in during a period of two years with UK leaving the EU.
"This is an historic moment for which there can be no turning back. Britain is leaving the European Union. We will make our own decisions and our own laws," May told the House of Commons in London.
A few minutes earlier in Brussels, the British Permanent Representative to the EU, Sir Tim Barrow, handed over a formal letter of notification to Donald Tusk, the President of the European Council.
The British PM has vowed to weather the storm of leaving the EU's single market and customs union, essentially a free-trade zone that the country will no longer be a part of.
- 'National tragedy': Monsoon rains, flash floods kill 77 in Pakistan04:24 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- PM Shehbaz’s son sends Rs1 billion defamation notice to PTI's Imran ...02:40 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Asim Azhar and Merub Ali enjoy monsoon rain02:01 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022