Hammad Azhar replaces Dr Hafeez Shaikh as Finance Minister
ISLAMABAD - Federal Minister of Industries and Production Hammad Azhar was given additional charge of the Ministry of Finance as Prime Minister Imran Khan has removed Dr Abdul Hafeez Shaikh from the post.
Federal Information Minister, Senator Shibli Faraz talking to a private news channel said that the new economic team would take all possible measures to provide relief to common man, address issues related to inflation.
He revealed that the premier was not satisfied with the performance of old economic team led by Hafeez Shaikh.
He expressed the hope that Hamad Azhar would managed to overcome the inflation so that poor masses could get relief.
The development comes days after the premier removed special assistant on petroleum Nadeem Babar over fuel crisis that hit the country in June last year.
Shaikh was made finance minister in Dec 2020 by the premier after the Islamabad High Court ruled that unelected aides could not head government committees.
However, the senior economist could retain the post for six months only since he was an unelected individual to head the ministry. As per rules, he had to be replaced in June 2021.
In an attempt to cement his position, the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) picked him as its candidate for Senate seat from Islamabad but he lost it to PDM-backed Yousaf Raza Gillani.
Setback to PTI as Yousaf Raza Gillani defeats ... 06:32 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
ISLAMABAD - Former prime minister Yousaf Raza Gillani, a joint candidate of the Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM), on ...
The prime minister is empowered to appoint an unelected individual as a minister for six months under Article 91(9) of the Constitution.
However, the Constitution states that at the end of six months, that individual will "cease to be a minister and shall not before the dissolution of that Assembly be again appointed a minister; unless he is elected as a member of that Assembly."
In light of the Constitution, the government gave a Senate ticket to Abdul Hafeez Shaikh in order to get him elected.
Earlier, the IHC judgment noted that Article 93 of the Constitution allows the prime minister to appoint up to five advisors, and conferring of a federal minister status on an advisor is "only for the purpose of perks and privileges, and does not make the advisor a federal minister as such."
PM Imran directs Nadeem Babar to step down as ... 05:38 PM | 26 Mar, 2021
ISLAMABAD - Prime Minister Imran Khan has directed his special assistant to petroleum Nadeem Babar to resign over ...
- Pakistan to become mobile phones’ exporter by 2022, says Razak ...08:17 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Noor Mukadam murder: Can’t get Zahir Jaffer killed in police ...07:42 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- PM Imran facing life threats, reveals information minister07:09 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Afghan team reaches Pakistan to probe alleged abduction of Afghan ...06:36 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prince Charming - Mahira Khan's first look from upcoming webseries ...05:50 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Sharmila Faruqui lashes out at Ayeza Khan’s controversial scene ...05:21 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Shahroz Sabzwari shares his two cents regarding Sadaf Kanwal's item ...04:34 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Shilpa Shetty releases detailed statement after husband Raj Kundra's ...04:08 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021