PTI's Punjab minister invites criticism after 'suspicious' visit to Kot Lakhpat jail
Punjab Minister for Prisons, Zawar Hussain visited the Kot Lakhpat Jail along with ‘six suspected civilians’on Thursday and allegedly held a secret meeting with the militants of banned terror outfits involved in suicide attacks in Lahore and under-trial sectarian inmates, reported Dawn News.
Through his visit to the high-profile prisoners, he created a risk of security lapse as he allegedly unlocked the barracks, housing 109 dangerous terrorists in sheer violation of Pakistan Prisons Rules 1978.
"The minister Zawar Hussain allegedly forced his entry into the jail in the wee hours and stopped the jail superintendent and other senior officials from accompanying him as he went to meet the prisoners," says a detailed report dispatched to the home secretary by the prisons department.
DPO Pakpattan allegedly transferred for not ... 04:12 PM | 27 Aug, 2018
KHANEWAL - The District Police Officer (DPO) Pakpattan, Rizwan Gondal was transferred allegedly for stopping Khawar ...
On resistance, he locked the official guards of the high-security blocks of the dangerous prisoners in a cell for ‘not cooperating with him’, stated the report.
“According to the prisons rules 1978, the prison's guard is the custodian of the keys of jail corridor and it happened for the first time that the minister snatched keys from him and handed them over to a suspected civilian who was accompanying him, ”the report added.
Inspector General of Prisons, Mirza Shahid Saleem Baig brought the matter to the knowledge of the secretary interior who has ordered a high-level investigation into the issue.
However, the ministry's spokesperson denied the allegations and expressed that the minister had paid a surprise visit to the Jail for routine inspection as he had received many complaints against the jail officials from the prisoners who told him that the jail officials took a bribe from them to facilitate them.
Earlier, a matter of political interference into the official matters also surfaced on media when DPO Pakpattan was allegedly removed from his post after not apologizing to a political bigwig of the area.
- Pakistan reports lowest number of daily COVID cases in two months as ...09:08 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:48 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 18 September 202108:42 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Taliban replace Afghanistan women's ministry with vice department12:43 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- HRW says India's ruling BJP targeting Modi govt critics12:22 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Malala proud of Angelina Jolie for writing a book for children04:55 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Dur-e-Fishan and Danish Taimoor pair up for upcoming drama Ishq e ...04:30 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Alka Yagnik super excited for Imran Abbas's new drama serial 'Amanat'04:12 PM | 17 Sep, 2021