PTI's Barrister Khalid Khurshid elected as CM Gilgit-Baltistan
ISLAMABAD - Barrister Khalid Khurshid of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) has been elected Chief Minister of Gilgit-Baltistan.
Khurshid, who was picked by Prime Minister Imran Khan for the slot, managed to bag 22 votes while his rival Advocate Amjad Bukhari got nine votes.
Khalid Khurshid won Gilgit-Baltistan Assembly seat by defeating Pakistan Peoples Party’s Abdul Hameed Khan in constituency GBA-13 (Astore-I).
In all, the GB Assembly has 33 seats — 24 of which are contested through directed elections; six are reserved for women and three others reserved for technocrats and professionals.
In the elections, the PTI emerged victorious on 10 seats, while seven were won by independent candidates. The JUI and Majlis Wahdatul Muslimeen (MWM) won one seat apiece. Six of the independent candidates have joined PTI after the election and the party already had a seat adjustment arrangement with the MWM.
- My investor is my master’, Pakistan’s PM Shehbaz tells Turkish ...05:40 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Imran Khan arrives at Nur Khan air base in a private plane for ...03:02 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- SBP governor confident of $1bn Sukuk repayment before due date02:44 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Sania Mirza rubs shoulder with husband Shoaib Malik amid divorce ...01:09 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Humaima Malick pays special tribute to Anjuman Shaheen at LUX Style ...10:05 PM | 25 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022
- India falls behind Pakistan, Myanmar in Global Hunger Index02:30 PM | 16 Oct, 2022