Firdous Ashiq Awan served contempt notice for commenting on Nawaz's bail
The notice says Awan criticized the judiciary by stating that bail order to Nawaz Sharif will open a floodgate of similar requests by prisoners
ISLAMABAD – The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Wednesday issued a show-cause notice to Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Information and Broadcasting Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan for “maligning the judiciary”.
A notification issued by the high court states, the government’s chief spokesperson in a press conference criticised the institution of the judiciary and stated that Nawaz Sharif’s bail on medical grounds will open a floodgate of similar requests by prisoners suffering from various diseases.
"You, Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan,Special Assistant to the Prime Minister for Information and Broadcasting while conducting the press conference criticized the Institution of Judiciary and stated that bail order to Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif will open a floodgate of similar requests by prisoners," read the notification.
“While maligning the honourable courts went to say that the case of the accused [Nawaz] was heard during the evening ‘as a special dispensation,” it added.
The notices further stated that Awan “made an attempt to scandalise the court in the eyes of the public, thereby, tried to lower the esteem of the judiciary.”
“The contents of your [Awan's] statement was ‘unwarranted’ for a spokesperson of the federal government,” it said.
The court has summoned the special assistant in person on November 1, asking her to show cause why shouldn't contempt of court proceedings be initiated against her.
"The above act of yours prima-facie attract penal action against you under the Contempt of Court ordinance, 2003, the notice said.
- N Korea test fires two short-range ballistic missiles11:38 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Coronavirus infection cases reach 1,495 in Pakistan11:16 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- FM Qureshi says Global fight against Covid-19 requires multi-national ...10:52 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Punjab Govt decides to waive off taxes amounting to Rs 18 billion10:17 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Another special plane carrying second lot of medical supplies from ...09:03 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Baby Doll singer Kanika Kapoor tested positive for coronavirus03:40 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Michael Jackson ‘predicted’ coronavirus-like pandemic: Ex ...03:28 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Maya Ali is distributing ration bags among needy over Coronavirus ...03:16 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Pakistani student gives birth to baby girl in Wuhan, China04:00 PM | 15 Mar, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019