Firdous Ashiq Awan served contempt notice for commenting on Nawaz's bail
The notice says Awan criticized the judiciary by stating that bail order to Nawaz Sharif will open a floodgate of similar requests by prisoners
ISLAMABAD – The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Wednesday issued a show-cause notice to Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Information and Broadcasting Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan for “maligning the judiciary”.
A notification issued by the high court states, the government’s chief spokesperson in a press conference criticised the institution of the judiciary and stated that Nawaz Sharif’s bail on medical grounds will open a floodgate of similar requests by prisoners suffering from various diseases.
"You, Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan,Special Assistant to the Prime Minister for Information and Broadcasting while conducting the press conference criticized the Institution of Judiciary and stated that bail order to Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif will open a floodgate of similar requests by prisoners," read the notification.
“While maligning the honourable courts went to say that the case of the accused [Nawaz] was heard during the evening ‘as a special dispensation,” it added.
The notices further stated that Awan “made an attempt to scandalise the court in the eyes of the public, thereby, tried to lower the esteem of the judiciary.”
“The contents of your [Awan's] statement was ‘unwarranted’ for a spokesperson of the federal government,” it said.
The court has summoned the special assistant in person on November 1, asking her to show cause why shouldn't contempt of court proceedings be initiated against her.
"The above act of yours prima-facie attract penal action against you under the Contempt of Court ordinance, 2003, the notice said.
- Pakistani police hunt PM Imran Khan's nephew over PIC attack11:41 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan to chair 63rd session of UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs09:54 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- TCM: Pakistani scientists successfully test first traditional Chinese ...09:22 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan ranked the world's best holiday destination for 202008:56 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- PM Imran Khan meets Saudi crown prince on day-long visit08:39 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Brad Pitt addresses rumours regarding dating actress Alia Shawkat02:12 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Khuda Aur Mohabbat is coming again with season 301:59 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Tabla legend Ustad Ajmal Khan passes away in Islamabad12:50 PM | 14 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019