License of Pakistani news channel suspended for airing hate material
ISLAMABAD - The Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) has suspended the license of a private news channel (24 News) for airing hate inciting content during a special transmission on Youm e Ashura.
According to a press release, PEMRA had issued an advisory to all television channels on August 20, directing them to avoid airing the contents which incite hate or fan sectarianism or vitiate inter faith Harmony.
The 24NewsHD a part of Central Media Network Private Limited aired "hate material during its special Muharram 10 transmission without exercising any editorial control" thus violating PEMRA policies.
The license of the channel has been suspended under section 30(3) of the Pemra Ordinance, 2002 after receiving the complaints regarding the transmission and to avoiding law and order disruption.
PEMRA also issued a show-cause notice to the channel, directing it to reply within 14 days, it added. "The channel has been given the opportunity to present its stance according to the law," it said.
The license would remain suspended till conclusion of the inquiry.
- AJK polls: 2 PTI workers shot dead, multiple injured amid scuffle ...01:02 PM | 25 Jul, 2021
- Noor Mukadam murder: Zahir Jaffer’s parents arrested for hiding ...11:31 AM | 25 Jul, 2021
- Saudi foreign minister to arrive in Pakistan on July 2710:58 AM | 25 Jul, 2021
- Sindh shuts all colleges, universities as Delta variant fuels concerns10:35 AM | 25 Jul, 2021
- Mia Khalifa announces divorce after two years of marriage11:21 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- Iqra Aziz, Yasir Hussain share adorable clicks with their firstborn07:41 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- Let’s Change The Way We Look At Life06:33 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021