Pakistan Army, civilian officers sentenced for espionage, spying shifted to jail
Sources said on Friday that there is no authenticity in the rumours doing rounds on social media of sending the officers abroad.
The officers had been in custody throughout the trial, the sources added.
On Thursday, the Army chief had endorsed the punishment to two army and one civil officer over charges of espionage and leakage of sensitive information to foreign agencies prejudice to the national security.
COAS approves death sentence for Brigadier, ... 05:58 PM | 30 May, 2019
RAWALPINDI - Chief of Army Staff, General Qamar javed Bajwa ratified the punishment awarded to two former army and one ...
In a statement issued by the Inter-Service Public Relations (ISPR), the officers were tried under the Pakistan Army Act (PAA) and Official Secret Act by separate Field General Court Martial (FGCM) for separate cases.
Lieutenant General (r) Javed Iqbal has been awarded 14-year harsh imprisonment, while Brigadier (r) Raja Rizwan has awarded death sentence.
Both officials had leaked sensitive information to foreign agencies prejudice to the national security.
Doctor Wasim Akram, who was employed at a sensitive organization, has also been awarded the death sentence. Some 400 officers of every rank have been given various punishments, including dismissal from service, during the last two years.
Later, Director General (DG) Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Major General Asif Ghafoor said that an effective and strict accountability process exist in armed forces which is evident from the cases disposed of by Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Genral Qamar Javed Bajwa.
Major General Asif Ghafoor said that in three separate cases, a retired three-star army general, a brigadier and a civil officer were severely punished according to the nature of their crimes.
The military's spokesman further said that money earned through espionage or money laundering comes under corruption. He said that there is no forgiveness in armed forces as all are accountable. He further said that no one is above the law.
- Pakistan hopes for revival of $6 billion IMF bailout package next ...02:13 PM | 29 May, 2022
- Israeli president confirms meeting with Pakistani expats’ delegation12:25 PM | 29 May, 2022
- Pakistan likely to hike gas tariff after withdrawing petroleum ...11:59 AM | 29 May, 2022
- Pakistani delegation leaves for India for talks on water disputes11:16 AM | 29 May, 2022
- Watch – Saba Qamar loses her cool at press conference09:36 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan gets clean chit in drugs case07:47 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Ghana Ali expresses her resentment towards Maryam Nawaz09:12 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022