Mehbooba Mufti all set to become first woman CM of Occupied Jammu & Kashmir
“Mehbooba Mufti to be sworn in as Chief Minister on April 4,” said a senior PDP leader and former Vice Chancellor of Jammu University in a tweet.
The focus of new government led by Ms. Mehbooba Mufti would be on peace, reconciliation and development in Jammu and Kashmir.
— J&K PDP (@jkpdp) March 26, 2016
The PDP and BJP had staked claim for government formation on March 26 (Saturday), two days after Mehbooba Mufti was elected as leader of the legislative party.
Born Mehbooba Mufti Sayeed, the president of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) is daughter of late Mufti Mohammad Sayeed who served as former CM of Jammu and Kashmir.
She deferred to her father's experience, however, and became party vice-president.
She resigned her assembly seat and went on to contest the parliamentary elections in 1999 from Srinagar, where she lost to the sitting member
Omar Abdullah but won the Pahalgam seat in the state assembly from south Kashmir, defeating Rafi Ahmed Mir, when assembly elections were held again in 2002.
She has been elected to the Lok Sabha from Anantnag seat in 2004 and 2014.
- NAB arrests Khursheed Shah’s son in asset beyond means case (VIDEO)10:31 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Shahrukh Khan becomes the only Pakistani cadet to graduate from US ...09:50 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Watch: Donald Trump lookalike singing, selling ice cream in Pakistan09:34 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Saudi FM informs Pakistan’s Qureshi about challenges of organising ...09:08 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Sonali Bendre proudly shares transformation on Cancer Survivors’ Day05:51 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Waseem Abbas reflects on Mahira Khan-Firdous Jamal controversy04:44 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Shah Rukh Khan gets back to work for 'Pathan' shooting04:20 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021