MDCAT mandatory for admission to medical colleges, rules Pakistan's top court
ISLAMABAD – The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the Lahore High Court (LHC) verdict, declaring Medical and Dental Colleges Admission Test (MDCAT) mandatory for admissions to medical colleges.
A three-member SC bench comprising Justice Umar Ata Bandial, Justice Syed Mansoor Ali Shah and Justice Munib Akhtar had reserved the judgment on September 27.
The five-page judgment authored by Justice Syed Mansoor Ali Shah stated that the admission to medical or dental programs conducted by the public colleges should be regulated as per the policy of the Provincial Governments strictly on merit and admission to a private college should be in accordance with the criteria and requirements stipulated by the private college at least one year in advance of admissions including any additional entrance test as may be conducted by a private college subject to any conditions imposed by the relevant university to which such college is affiliated.
The apex court said that applicants will be required to take MDCAT to get admission in both public and private colleges.
It remarked that MDCAT is legal requirement under the Pakistan Medical Commission Act, 2020 and private colleges cannot replace it with their home-developed tests.
The court also quoted from the act: "Any student seeking admission in any medical or dental college shall mandatorily be required to have passed the MDCAT examination held by PMC. The passing marks for the MDCAT examination shall be 60%."
Sindh mulls lowering MDCAT passing marks amid ... 02:11 PM | 3 Oct, 2021
KARACHI – Sindh Health Minister Dr. Azra Fazal Pechuho said officials are considering to lower the passing ...
- Aibak Polo Cup: Finals tomorrow11:59 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- 6th Sheheryar Malik Memorial Pakistan Open Tennis Championship: ...11:40 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Azerbaijan allows tax-free import of Pakistani rice for five years11:37 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Punjab IT minister urges SBP to reverse its decision to suspend DCB ...10:34 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Veteran writer Mustansar Hussain Tarar hospitalised with chest pain10:02 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Tariq Teddy’s family gets Rs3 million cheque06:40 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Adnan Siddiqui asks Sajal Aly not to 'stoke unnecessary controversy' ...06:36 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Watch - Shehnaaz Gill wins hearts for consoling a weeping fan04:15 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022
- India falls behind Pakistan, Myanmar in Global Hunger Index02:30 PM | 16 Oct, 2022