Indian men sentenced to life in prison for raping 10-year-old niece
Both men are the child's uncles and were convicted of raping her earlier this week, the BBC reported.
The girl's pregnancy was discovered in mid-July when she was taken to hospital after complaining of a stomach ache.
She was 30 weeks pregnant when a local court in Chandigarh turned down her abortion plea, on the grounds that her pregnancy was too advanced. A panel of doctors had advised that a medical termination would be "too risky". Later, India's Supreme Court also refused to allow her an abortion on similar grounds.
Two-year-old girl raped in India 03:19 PM | 17 Mar, 2016
LUDHIANA (Web Desk) - In another horrific case in India, a 14-year-old boy raped and slit the throat of a two-year-old ...
Indian law does not allow terminations after 20 weeks unless doctors certify that the mother's life is in danger.
The girl gave birth in August and the baby was given away to child welfare authorities for adoption.
Her second uncle was arrested after the baby's DNA sample did not match that of his older brother, the first suspect.
The older uncle's trial took a month, while the younger uncle was convicted in a remarkable 18-day trial.
India is home to 400 million children. A child under 16 is raped every 155 minutes, a child under 10 every 13 hours.
More than 10,000 children were raped in India in 2015.
13-yr-girl raped by father delivers baby in ... 12:17 PM | 9 Nov, 2015
BHOPAL (Web Desk) - The 13-year-old girl who got pregnant after allegedly being raped by her stepfather has given birth ...
In most cases, their pregnancies are discovered late because the children themselves are not aware of their condition.
In May, a similar case was reported from the northern state of Haryana where a 10-year-old, allegedly raped by her stepfather, was allowed to abort. She was about 20 weeks pregnant, doctors said.
None of the girls can be named for legal reasons.
- OPPO ColorOS 12 won four design awards at the Red Dot Award: Brands & ...12:35 PM | 16 Aug, 2022
- FIFA suspends India’s football federation on its Independence Day12:27 PM | 16 Aug, 2022
- ‘Shahenshah-e-Qawwali’ Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan remembered on 25th ...11:43 AM | 16 Aug, 2022
- Faysal Quraishi gives major fitness goals with new shirtless picture09:05 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022