INS Vikrant: India's first indigenous aircraft carrier begins sea trials (VIDEO)
NEW DELHI – India's first home-built aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant, began its maiden sea trials on Wednesday, according to the Indian navy.
"Proud & historic day for India as the reincarnated #Vikrant sails for her maiden sea trials today, in the 50th year of her illustrious predecessor's key role in victory in the #1971 war Largest & most complex warship ever to be designed & built in India," a spokesperson of the Indian Navy wrote on Twitter.
The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) will be renamed the INS Vikrant when it is commissioned into service.
Proud & historic day for India as the reincarnated #Vikrant sails for her maiden sea trials today, in the 50th year of her illustrious predecessor’s key role in victory in the #1971war— SpokespersonNavy (@indiannavy) August 4, 2021
Largest & most complex warship ever to be designed & built in India.
Many more will follow... pic.twitter.com/6cYGtAUhBK
It will be the second ship to use the name Vikrant; the first was the Indian Navy's first aircraft carrier, which served in the 1971 India-Pakistan war until it was decommissioned in 1997.
The second Vikrant is expected to be commissioned by 2022.
The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier 'Vikrant', designed by Indian Navy's Design Team and built by @cslcochin, undertook its maiden sea sortie today. A wonderful example of @makeinindia. Congratulations to @indiannavy and @cslcochin on this historic milestone. pic.twitter.com/AjnafkxOaT— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 4, 2021
Maiden sea sortie of Indigenous Aircraft Carrier, ‘Vikrant’ is a true testimony to our unwavering commitment to #Atmanirbharta in Defence. Realisation of this historic milestone, regardless of COVID, shows true dedication & commitment of all stakeholders. A proud moment for India pic.twitter.com/pJJZqmV4G1— Rajnath Singh (@rajnathsingh) August 4, 2021
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh congratulated the country's navy and Cochin Shipyard Ltd on this "historic milestone."
- Jinnah’s statue destroyed by BLF militants in Gwadar’s Marine ...11:51 AM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Oldest Pakistan Army veteran Lt-Col (r) Sultan Mengal breathes his ...11:22 AM | 27 Sep, 2021
- PM Imran to perform groundbreaking of Karachi Circular Railway today10:49 AM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Umer Sharif’s departure to US delayed after health deteriorates10:26 AM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan sees downward trend in new COVID cases as positivity ratio ...09:38 AM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Mashal Khan breaks silence on receiving acid attack threats01:35 PM | 26 Sep, 2021
- Atif Aslam, Mahira Khan’s much-awaited music video released01:00 PM | 26 Sep, 2021
- Air ambulance for ailing Umer Sharif to reach Karachi tomorrow07:02 PM | 25 Sep, 2021