Profile: Arif Alvi - the 13th President of Pakistan
ISLAMABAD - Dr. Arif-ur-Rehman Alvi, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s (PTI) candidate, was elected as 13th President of Pakistan on Tuesday, after getting majority votes from an electoral college comprising members of the Senate, national and provincial assemblies.
Chief Justices of Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi, Quetta and Peshawar served as presiding officers while Chief Election Commissioner Sardar Raza was the returning officer.
Born in 1949 and a dentist by profession, Arif Alvi is among the founding members of the Imran Khan-led Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI).
Dr Arif Alvi elected 13th President of Pakistan 04:46 PM | 4 Sep, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Dr Arif Alvi has been elected as 13th president of Pakistan after a secret polling in Senate and the newly ...
Even during his student years, Arif ur Rehman Alvi had an inclination towards politics. While studying at the De'Montmorency College of Dentistry in Lahore, he was an active member of student unions protesting against the then-President Gen. Ayub Khan.
Later, in 1979, he decided to run for office as a candidate of the Jamaat-e-Islami, for a provincial constituency in Karachi, his hometown.
The dentist tried his luck in the political arena again in 1996. That year, he joined the lesser-known and fledgling political party lead by the cricket star, Imran Khan.
Alvi ran for the seat of Provincial Assembly of Sindh as a candidate of PTI from constituency PS-114 (Karachi) in General Election 1997, however, he remained unsuccessful.
He ran for the seat of Provincial Assembly of Sindh in General Election 2002 as a candidate of PTI from constituency PS-90 (Karachi-II) but remained unsuccessful. He secured only 1,276 votes in the poll.
He served as the secretary general of PTI from 2006 to 2013.
Alvi was the only PTI member to win a National Assembly seat from Sindh in the 2013 elections.
In 2016, he was made the president of PTI Sindh chapter.
He was re-elected to the National Assembly as a candidate of PTI from Constituency NA-247 (Karachi South-II) in General Election 2018.
On September 4, members of the national and provincial assemblies voted Alvi as the President of Pakistan.
Presidents of Pakistan
Following is the list of the previous presidents of the country, with their respective tenures. The list includes those who served as acting presidents – Wasim Sajjad (twice) and Mohammedmian Soomro.
1. Maj General Iskandar Mirza (23-03-1956 to 27-10-1958)
2. General Mohammed Ayub Khan (27-10-1958 to 25-03-1969)
3. General Mohammed Yahya Khan (25-03-1969 to 20-12-1971)
4. Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto (20-12-1971 to 14-08-1973)
5. Fazal Elahi Chaudhry (14-08-1973 to 16-09-1978)
6. General Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq (16-09-1978 to 17-08-1988)
7. Ghulam Ishaq Khan (17-08-1988 to 08-07-1993)
8. Wasim Sajjad (Acting) (08-07-1993 to 14-11-1993)
9. Sardar Farooq Ahmed Leghari (14-11-1993 to 02-12-1997)
10. Wasim Sajjad (Acting) (02-12-1997 to 01-01-1998)
11. Justice (r) Mohammed Rafiq Tarar (01-01-1998 to 20-06-2001)
12. General (r) Pervez Musharraf (20-06-2001 to 15-10-2007)
13. General (r) Pervez Musharraf (29-11-2007 to 18-08-2008)
14. Mohammedmian Soomro (Acting) (18-08-2008 to 09-09-2008)
15. Asif Ali Zardari (09-09-2008 to 09-09-2013)
16. Mamnoon Hussain (09-09-2013 to 08-09-2018)
The president-elect, Alvi is expected to take oath on September 9 after the completion of incumbent President Mamnoon Hussain's term on September 8.
- Hundreds of Indian devotees contract COVID-19 at Kumbh festival06:00 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- In world first, New Zealand to roll out climate change law05:40 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Rangers deployed in Punjab districts amid violent TLP protests05:22 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- US state secretary discusses Afghanistan drawdown plan with Pakistan ...05:11 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Fakhar Zaman, Shaheen Afridi reach career-best ODI rankings04:51 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Sami Khan tests positive for COVID-1903:05 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Atif Aslam set to release a new naat this Ramadan03:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Saba Qamar spends quality time with family post her breakup02:01 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021
- Ten New IPO Billionaires in 202107:59 PM | 8 Apr, 2021