"US Embassy compiled lists for murders" - New film exposes America's role in 1965 Indonesian Genocide
The movie has been produced by Joshua Oppenheimer and is based on the story of a man, Adi Rukun, who is confronting the killers of his brother. In 1965 Rukun's brother was murdered by a paramilitary force Komando Aks in Aceh. The documentary also alleges that US provided Indonesian army with financial assistance and intelligence support at the time of mass killings.
"We know that U.S. embassy officials were compiling lists of thousands of names of public figures in Indonesia and handing these to the army and saying, 'Kill everybody on these lists and check off the names as you go, and give the lists back to us when you’re done'" - filmmaker Joshua Oppenheimer.
The filmmaker previously produced a documentary "The Act of Killing" in 2012 in which he interviewed the Indonesian death squad leaders and worked with them to re-enact the real-life killings. The film was nominated for an Academy Award.
Earlier a large number of human rights activists have been writing petitions to US government to acknowledge its alleged role in the genocide.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:49 AM | 2 Jul, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 02 July 202208:27 AM | 2 Jul, 2022
- US envoy calls on PM Shehbaz, reaffirms commitment to strengthen ...09:53 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- World's highest polo festival kicks off in Pakistan's Shandur09:16 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- Maya Ali faces backlash for wearing revealing dress05:10 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- Ramsha Khan sparks outrage for praising Ahad Raza Mir07:00 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- SidNaaz fans left teary-eyed with Shehnaaz Gill’s throwback video06:40 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022