Cow smuggling is equivalent to raping a Hindu girl in India
The Indian government, under Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has made tackling the trade in stolen cattle one of its priorities, ordering the 30,000 security force personnel deployed along the border with its neighbour to do more to prevent it.
Jishnu Basu, a spokesman for the Hindu nationalist Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), of which Mr Modi is a member, stated provocatively that: "Killing or smuggling a cow is equivalent to raping a Hindu girl or destroying a Hindu temple."
Cows are sacred animals for India's majority Hindu population, however, that is not a sentiment shared across the border in Bangladesh where the majority of the population are Muslim.
Nearly two million head of cattle are smuggled from India into Bangladesh each year, according to Indian media reports.
So far Indian troops have seized 90,000 cattle and caught 400 smugglers, pushing up the price of beef in Bangladesh.
- Afghan protesters storm Pakistan High Commission in London10:42 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- IT ministry makes use of indigenous messaging app mandatory for govt ...10:08 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- DG ISI arrives in Beijing for strategic talks with Chinese officials08:47 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Punjab’s Auqaf dept loses Badshahi Mosque’s administration08:10 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Shilpa Shetty breaks silence after husband’s arrest in pornography ...03:49 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Iqra Aziz and Yasir Hussain welcome first baby03:16 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- Pakistani stars demand #JusticeForNoor02:42 PM | 23 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021