Memogate: Court issues permanent arrest warrants of Hussain Haqqani
During the hearing of Memogate scandal headed by special judge Irum Niazi, Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) presented its report, alleging Haqqani of embezzlement of Rs2 million dollars.
The FIA official said that the former ambassador was deliberately hiding to avoid arrest.
FIA registers case against Husain Haqqani for ... 09:46 AM | 13 Mar, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Federal Investigation Agency has filed a case against former Pakistan’s ambassador to the US Husain ...
On Feb 15, the Supreme Court issued arrest warrants for Pakistan’s former ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani in the Memogate case.
A three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar issued the warrants against the former envoy for violating the oath.
The Memogate scandal surfaced in 2011 when Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz revealed that he had received a letter against Pakistan Army from Haqqani for the then-US joint chiefs chairman Admiral Mike Mullen.
Following Ijaz’s claims, a judicial commission was set up to probe the memo, which mentioned a possible military take over in Pakistan following the killing of Osama bin Laden in a US raid in Abbottabad.
In the memo, assistance was sought from the US to save the then government of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) giving an impression that PPP government is Pro-US.
Later, the judicial commission found that the memo was written by the former ambassador and was authentic.
The matter was taken to the Supreme Court by the then opposition leaders after which Haqqani had resigned as an envoy.
Memogate: Top court orders govt to bring back ... 11:25 AM | 28 Mar, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Supreme Court on Wednesday gave 30 days deadline to the government for taking steps to bring back former ...
Haqqani was criticised by the Pakistani parliament for his column in The Washington Post in which he had written that he had helped US forces in action against Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden when the government and the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) had been kept in the dark about the secret operation.
On January 3, 2013, he left the country on a four-day notice with the commitment to come back, however, he did not return to the country from the United States.
Haqqani had served as ambassador in US from 2008 to 2011 and was removed for his alleged role in the Memogate controversy. He had also served as ambassador to Sri Lanka from 1992 to 1993.
- Former first lady leading 'malicious campaign' against state ...03:40 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Model Sophia Mirza told daughters to steal passports and blackmail ...03:19 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- NEPRA hikes power tariff by Rs9.42 per unit for K-Electric02:58 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Dua Zehra’s age between 15-16 years, says latest medical report02:28 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- U Microfinance Bank Limited: Successful closure of Additional Tier-1 ...02:02 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Komal Meer treats fans with latest photoshoot01:07 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- 'Dil Karay' – Ali Zafar’s new romantic song leaves fans mesmerised12:23 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Syra Yousuf leaves fans spellbound with latest picture07:39 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022