LHC dismisses Alamgir Wazir's bail petition in sedition case
LAHORE - The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Thursday dismissed a bail petition of PTM leader accused in a sedition case.
The applicant, Alamgir Wazir, who is a nephew of Pashtun Tahaffuz Movement leader and MNA Ali Wazir was arrested in Lahore for participating in and allegedly addressing a Student Solidarity March organised last year.
Earlier, Civil Lines police had lodged a case against Wazir and other prominent participants of the students march under Sections 124-A (sedition), 290 (public nuisance) and 291 (continuance of nuisance after injunction to discontinue) of the Pakistan Penal Code in addition to offences under Punjab Sound System (Regulations) Act 2015 and Punjab Maintenance of Public Order Ordinance 1960.
The court after listening arguments of both sides, During the proceedings today, the prosecutor said audio and visual evidence looked at by investigators had positively identified the accused.
"Using objectionable language against state institutions is equivalent to disrespecting the country," the prosecutor added.
Wazir's lawyer, Asad Jamal, on the other hand, argued his client's innocence saying there was no concrete evidence under which his client should be continuously detained.
The court, however, dismissed Wazir's petition after hearing the arguments.
- COVID-19: Over 5,100 died in US, global death toll rises to over ...10:03 AM | 2 Apr, 2020
- CAA suspends international, domestic flights till April 1109:32 AM | 2 Apr, 2020
- COVID19: Pakistan confirms 26 deaths; Coronavirus cases exceed 2,11008:28 AM | 2 Apr, 2020
- Nine Pakistani suspected drug smuggler arrested in Sri Lanka12:30 AM | 2 Apr, 2020
- Hareem Shah to host a Ramazan transmission?04:25 PM | 1 Apr, 2020
- Van Gogh painting stolen from museum during virus shutdown04:03 PM | 1 Apr, 2020
- Kim Kardashian shares BTS of the nasty fight with sister Kourtney and ...04:01 PM | 1 Apr, 2020
- Pakistani student gives birth to baby girl in Wuhan, China04:00 PM | 15 Mar, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019