Pakistan's GSP Plus status could be under threat, says EU ambassador
Speaking at a seminar titled "GSP Plus in Pakistan: Opportunities and Challenges" Mr Jean Francois Cautain explained that the 27 conventions of UN directly deal with human rights violations.
He said that a ban on death penalty was not a direct part of the 27 conventions but the matter is related to human rights. Pakistan initially showed a positive response towards the conditions of EU special status but it needs to further improve the process of implementation, he added.
He went on to say that EU has been suspended the GSP Plus status of many countries for human rights violations, Sri Lanka was deprived of the status few years ago.
Answering a question he said the assessment report of Pakistan has been prepared and it will presented in EU parliament in January next year, he said.
German Ambassador Ina Lepel, EU Mission Deputy Head Stefano Gatoo and Federal Commerce Minister Khurram Dastgir were also present on the occasion.
The story first appeared in Express Tribune.
- Pakistan to send aid to Palestine facing medical emergency amid ...07:07 PM | 18 May, 2021
- UAE ready to host remaining matches of PSL 2021 in Abu Dhabi06:01 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Board exams across Pakistan to be held at any cost: NCOC05:24 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Sakina Abbas becomes Pakistan’s first woman Google Developers ...04:22 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Zara Noor Abbas's recent statement leaves the internet divided02:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Nora Fatehi's bold dance video in gym goes viral01:41 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Ali Zafar celebrates birthday in style01:15 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021