SC orders hearing of Model Town case on daily basis
A two-member bench of the apex court, headed by Justice Nisar, was hearing a petition pertaining to the Model Town incident at the Supreme Court's Lahore Registry.
Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) chief Dr Tahirul Qadri appeared before the bench and requested the top court to constitute an impartial joint investigation team (JIT) to probe the incident.
Justice Nisar informed the PAT chief that on his request he has ordered the ATC to hear the case on a daily basis.
Further, the chief justice told Qadri, “Since your appeal was rejected in the Lahore High Court, you can file it in the Supreme Court.”
Directing the ATC to hear the case on a daily basis, the bench issued notices to the Punjab government, police and prosecution department.
At least 14 people were killed and 100 others injured in police action against Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) workers in Lahore's Model Town area during an 'anti-encroachment operation' on June 17, 2014.
The inquiry report, prepared by Justice Baqir Najfi commission, stated that police tried to cover up the facts regarding who gave orders to open fire on protesters.
It adds that no legal opinion was sought from the Punjab advocate general prior to the start of the operation.
- Pakistan registers 3,785 new Covid-19 cases, 118 deaths in 24 hours09:12 AM | 9 May, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 09 May 202108:59 AM | 9 May, 2021
- A successful story of young Emirati chef - Ahmed Darweesh01:16 AM | 9 May, 2021
- PM Imran and Pakistani delegation pay respects at Masjid-e-Nabwi12:00 AM | 9 May, 2021
- Javeria Abbasi recalls how she broke 12 bones in an accident (VIDEO)05:03 PM | 8 May, 2021
- Here's what Hina Altaf said about Aagha Ali before marriage (VIDEO)05:41 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021