Muslim man hacked to death, burnt in India for ‘Hindu honour’
Internet has been suspended in Rajsamand - around five hours from state capital Jaipur - to stop the circulation of two video clips posted on WhatsApp by the killer, identified as Shambhu Lal.
NDTV reported the police believe a half-burnt body they found Thursday morning near a road in Rajsamand could be that of the victim - 45-year-old Mohammad Afrazul, a daily wage earner from West Bengal. The father of three had worked in Rajasthan for 20 years.
Shambhu Lal has been arrested and his 14-year-old nephew, who allegedly filmed the videos, has also been held. The killer's 11-year-old daughter is seen in one of the videos.
In one of two clips posted online, Shambhu Lal, in a red shirt, white trousers and a white muffler, is seen leading Afrazul to a spot in the woods.
Shambhu Lal follows him and attacks him repeatedly with an axe. Loud wailing and screams for help are heard as the video becomes increasingly difficult to watch.
When the victim falls silent, the murderer Shambu Lal warns Muslims, saying: "This is what will happen to you if you do 'love jihad' in our country."
"If I have to die, I will kill some and die," he says, making references to Ayodhya, the Padmavati film controversy and the Hindi film PK, which featured a romance between an Indian and a Pakistani. Apparently referring to Hindu-Muslim relationships, he threatens to "find each one of them and kill."
"It is shocking how he killed the man and made a video of it. The accused has been arrested and a special investigation team (SIT) has been set up...Any person will be disturbed by the video," state Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria said.
In a second video, the man is seen justifying the incident to "protect the honour of Hindus against Muslims".
Senior police official Anand Srivastava told the media that they have found that nobody from Shambu Lal's family had an inter-religious marriage.
The opposition Congress said the murder on video proves there is no governance in Rajasthan.
Police have been deployed in large numbers to keep the peace.
Cow vigilantes kill Muslim man in India 03:03 PM | 5 Apr, 2017
ALWAR- A Muslim man who was attacked by Hindu vigilantes while transporting cows in India breathed his last, police ...
- No coronavirus case in Pakistan; screening continues at airports12:24 AM | 20 Feb, 2020
- Rothschild suit revives family's Vienna past10:22 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- 3 youth martyred in Pulwama as India launches another anti-Kashmir ...10:08 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- Kashmir issue no more a bilateral but international human rights ...09:55 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- WWF-Pakistan stresses innovative technologies for wastewater ...06:53 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- Harry Styles reportedly mugged at knifepoint on Valentine's Day01:42 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- UN chief meets Mahira Khan, thanks her for ‘extraordinary support’02:59 PM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Justin Bieber admits to being 'reckless' with Selena when they dated11:17 AM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019