Kingless Thailand finally gets new head after 50 days
The 64-years-old new monarch received the title 'His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun' as he assumed his new position on Thursday, according to an announcement on all TV channels.
Vajiralongkorn addressed his audience, which included Royal Regent Prem Tinsulanonda and Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha, before holding a private meeting with the regent and key government figures.
'I agree to accept the wishes of the late king for the benefit of the entire Thai people' he said.
'This royal succession highlights a desire for stability and continuity in Thailand' he added.
Vajiralongkorn, the only son of King Bhumibol who is also known as King Rama IX, did not immediately ascend the throne following his father's death as traditionally practised, instead requesting more time to mourn.
He ascends the throne 50 days after the death of his father, who reigned for 70 long years.
- Pakistani PM Shehbaz Sharif to visit Turkey next week, says Foreign ...11:09 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Shireen Mazari's daughter booked for 'defaming' Pakistan Army chief09:43 PM | 27 May, 2022
- PIA announces Pakistan's Hajj flights plan08:45 PM | 27 May, 2022
- TikToker Dolly's bail plea in forest fire case dismissed by Islamabad ...06:09 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022