China restricts Muslims from fasting during Ramazan
CHINA (Web Desk) - While Muslims around the globe are observing the month of Ramadan with quintessential fervour and reverence, the otherwise secular state of China has restricted residents of province Xinjiang from fasting in the holy month.
Xinjiang is home to almost 10 million Uyghur (Uighur) Muslims, who have been resisting the Chinese state and seeking independence for decades.
Several local government departments in Xinjiang posted notices on their websites during the past week ordering restrictions on fasting during Ramadan.
"Party members, cadres, civil servants, students and minors must not fast for Ramadan and must not take part in religious activities,"AFP quoted a notice posted on Thursday on central Xinjiang's Korla city website.
Moreover, a website run by the education bureau of the regional capital Urumqi’s Shuimogou district posted a notice last Monday calling for “prevention of students and teachers from all schools from entering mosques for religious activities” during Ramazan.
Besides barring Muslims from fasting, the traders have been asked to keep eateries open according to multiple reports.
- Super well made: Anoushey Ashraf can’t stop praising ...04:35 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan confirm ICC World Test Championship matches against New ...03:45 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- OPPO Reno4 Pro — with a Professional 90Hz Borderless Sense Screen ...03:22 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- IAG Cargo starts London-Lahore service02:55 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Rhea Chakraborty 'an active member of a drug syndicate:' NCB02:26 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Lion King sequel officially in the works01:46 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020