South by Southwest festival canceled over coronavirus fears
Concerns over the coronavirus spread have officially derailed the 2020 South by Southwest music and film festival.
On Friday, city and county officials in Austin, Tex. announced that the multimedia event was canceled in the interest of public safety. SXSW was scheduled to kick off next week.
Officials of SXSW, a private company, described themselves as devastated by the development.
"This is the first time in 34 years that the March event will not take place," the company said in a written statement. "We are now working through the ramifications of this unprecedented situation."
Major media giants including Netflix, Apple, Amazon, and WarnerMedia had pulled films and planned talent appearances out of the festival.
The 10-day event is attended by leading figures from the spheres of technology, music and media to interact in the Texas capital.
Last year SXSW attracted nearly 74,000 people with over 19,000 coming from outside the US.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more!
- ECC meeting to discuss economic situation today09:12 AM | 23 Sep, 2020
- President Arif Alvi approves Pakistan Medical Commission Bill 202008:53 AM | 23 Sep, 2020
- PM Imran directs to ensure availability of wheat on reasonable ...08:27 AM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Two students test positive for coronavirus in Punjab11:47 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- ‘You are our heroes’: CJCSC Gen Nadeem confers civil awards on ...09:54 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Alizeh Shah looks unrecognisable in her new purple hair05:25 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Madam Noor Jehan's house should be turned into a museum: Shaan Shahid02:07 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020