Greenland's melting ice sheet could expose US nuclear waste: Study
Camp Century was built in 1959 to look into the possibility of deploying nuclear weapons from the Arctic during the Cold War.
The base was closed in 1967, with the notion that any hazardous material left there would be encased in ice forever. However, the new study has revealed the base could be exposed to the environment as early as 2090.
The base contains biological, chemical and radioactive waste in abundant quantities that will enter the environment as the climate warms and the ice sheet melts and will disrupt the ecosystem.
- Pakistan jump to fourth place in ICC World Test Championship points ...04:46 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Former first lady leading 'malicious campaign' against state ...03:40 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Komal Meer treats fans with latest photoshoot01:07 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022