Oprah Winfrey's fiery speech at Golden Globes sparks talk of White House run
However it was Oprah Winfrey’s acceptance speech that brought the audience to their feet as she accepted her Cecil B, DeMille award on Sunday, becoming the first African American women to receive the award.
The media mogul's message came during a ceremony that appreciated the Globes for being the first major award show that addressed rampant sexual harassment against women in the entertainment industry and beyond.
The message was to all, however Oprah said to the young girls watching: "A new day is on the horizon."
Celebrities then used Twitter to urge Winfrey to run for President. Comedian Sarah Silverman tweeted “Oprah/Michelle 2020” while Stedman Graham, Oprah’s partner told the Los Angeles Times after her speech:
“It’s up to the people. She would absolutely do it.”
Further, she and other A list celebrities brought with them activists for gender based violence and racial injustice such as #MeToo founder, Tarana burke who started the worldwide hashtag movement that urged women to speak up against sexual harassment and abuse.
“Speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have.”
This year's ceremony was one of the most political yet and saw the red carpet awash with A-list actresses wearing black.
Winfrey made the same point, the anti sexual harassment group Time’s up has made to raise awareness regarding sexual harassment happening within Hollywood and addressed this issue in her speech, saying sexual harassment "transcends any culture, geography, race, religion, politics or work place."
Furthermore she added,: "So I want tonight to express gratitude to all the women who have endured years of abuse and assault because they, like my mother, had children to feed and bills to pay and dreams to pursue," she said. "They're the women whose names we'll never know."
Here is a look at the stirring speech;
- Cristiano Ronaldo will not start for Portugal in match against ...12:25 AM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Achraf Hakimi helps Morocco knock Spain out of World Cup on penalties12:02 AM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Pakistan to hold next general election in October 2023 after digital ...11:28 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- 'Ghani Syaani' – Twitter goes gaga over Shehnaaz Gill and MC ...10:51 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- Man who stole Lady Gaga's dogs sentenced to 21 years in prison09:14 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022