British High Commission announces Asma Jahangir scholarship
Jahangir, one of Pakistan’s most prominent rights activists, had passed away in a Lahore hospital on February 11.
After a rigorous selection process, the scholarship will be awarded to the best female Chevening candidate each year. The recipient of the inaugural award will be announced in August, when the 2018 Chevening Scholars have been selected, the Commission said in a statement.
First SCBA woman president Asma Jahangir dies in ... 02:11 PM | 11 Feb, 2018
LAHORE - Pakistan's leading human rights lawyer Asma Jahangir passed away on Sunday after a cardiac arrest in Lahore. ...
Chevening scholarships are awarded to the outstanding emerging leaders to pursue a one-year Masters programme at any UK university.
The scholarship programme gives the opportunity to future leaders, influencers, and decision-makers from across the world to develop professionally and academically. It helps them build networks, to experience the UK culture, and to form lasting positive relationships with the UK, said the press statement.
In 2017, Chevening sent 63 Pakistanis, including 23 women, to top universities across the UK.
The British High Commissioner Thomas Drew announced the scholarships and addressed the ceremony. “I am delighted to announce that Asma Jahangir’s family has agreed to the creation of a scholarship in her name as part of our prestigious Chevening Programme. It is particularly appropriate to be able to announce the award, which will each year go to the top female Chevening candidate, on International Women’s Day,” he said.
“For decades, Asma Jahangir was a courageous defender of Pakistan’s most vulnerable citizens. She was also a powerful advocate for the rights of women. This scholarship honours her achievements.”
The British HC further said, “Women across Pakistan, as they are around the world, are underrepresented in politics, in leadership positions and across society. We hope that this scholarship inspires future generations of Pakistani women by giving them a platform to realise their potential – helping, in turn, realise the great potential of their country. As the founder of the country, Mohammed Ali Jinnah, said 'no nation can rise to the height of glory unless your women are side by side with you'”.
The Chevening alumni consist of over 1,600 professionals including senior journalists, civil servants, politicians and other members of society from all walks of life.
- UK court tells Pakistan's NAB to pay billions to Broadsheet by Aug 1310:16 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Sindh SHOs permitted to take action against Covid SOPs’ violations08:45 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Pakistan to become mobile phones’ exporter by 2022, says Razak ...08:17 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prince Charming - Mahira Khan's first look from upcoming webseries ...05:50 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Sharmila Faruqui lashes out at Ayeza Khan’s controversial scene ...05:21 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Shahroz Sabzwari shares his two cents regarding Sadaf Kanwal's item ...04:34 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021