More than 95% population of Pakistan has access to electricity, reveals World Bank data
Pakistan has overcome the crippling power crisis by taking effective measures with over 95 percent of the country's population having access to electricity, the Spectator Index reported, citing World Bank Data.
The data shared by the Spectator Index on Twitter says that Pakistan provided electricity to 97.5% of the population by 2014, while in India only 79% of people have access to this form of energy, which is considered a major force to make a country prosperous.
Japan, Russia, China, European Union and the United States have topped the survey with 100% access of electricity to the population.
The data further revealed that Brazil stood at 99.7%, Indonesia 97%, Mexico 99.2%, Nigeria 57 %, Kenya 36%, while only 27% Ethiopians have access to the electricity.
The development in electricity access occurred during the tenure of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) which took over the country in 2013 after winning the elections.
Data available on the website of the World Bank shows 99.147 of the population had access to electricity by 2016 with 98.8% in rural areas and 99.64% in urban areas.
Pakistan currently relies on natural gas, oil, hydro-power, coal and nuclear energy for the bulk of its energy needs.
A report published by International Renewable Energy Agency earlier this year had suggested that Pakistan needs to fully exploit indigenous renewable energy resources to improve energy security.
- What Nawaz Sharif's doing in his latest picture from London07:37 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PIA directed to control fares after overcharging complaints07:13 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PTI MNA tests positive for coronavirus as health crisis deepens in ...06:35 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Huawei Nova 7i – The hottest selling secret weapon of mobile gamers06:05 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Sri Lanka to reopen for tourism in August, with strict coronavirus ...05:27 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Pakistani celebrities who never endorsed fairness products01:50 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020