Sinkhole swallows several cars in Mississippi
The large gash, some 400ft (120m) long and 35ft (11m) wide, opened up late on Saturday in Meridian, near the Alabama state line.
The area had suffered heavy rains over the past two weeks, the Meridian Star newspaper reported.
No-one was injured, and engineers will assess the ground on Monday.
Buck Roberts, the director of public safety in Meridian, told the newspaper it did not appear to be a sinkhole, which is usually caused when an underground water aquifer dries and the ground above it collapses.
"You can call it what you want, a cave-in or whatever, but it is not a sinkhole," Mr Roberts said.
- UN body sees end of polio in Pakistan by 202310:32 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- Mahira Khan wants to recreate this scene with Shah Rukh Khan!10:07 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- Former Pakistan Army chief Gen (r) Bajwa watches PAKvENG Test at ...09:11 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- German mayor of Pakistan origin wishes to settle in Karachi forever08:46 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- Aima Baig drops teaser of latest cover of "Kahani Suno"08:24 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- Is The Legend of Maula Jatt going to be screened in India?07:59 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- BTS member Jin reveals his biggest wish on his birthday06:25 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022