Oil price fall in Asia following sharp gains
Both main contracts soared more than two dollars Thursday after the energy department said US inventories dropped 14.5 million barrels, the sharpest rate in 17 years.
But analysts said the decline was attributed to the suspension of imports and shutdown of some production due to Hurricane Hermine, which passed through the Gulf of Mexico in late August, and warned of a rebound next week.
"The reason behind the enormous drawdown is transitory, and does not influence the demand-supply situation of the oil market," said IG market strategist Bernard Aw in a note.
"One week s worth of data does not make a trend."
At about 0250 GMT, US benchmark West Texas Intermediate was down 40 cents at $47.22 and Brent fell 44 cents to $49.55.
Traders are awaiting a meeting of OPEC and Russia later this month aimed at addressing a two-year-old global supply glut and overproduction that saw prices hit a near 13-year low below $30 at the start of 2016.
While officials from Russia and OPEC kingpin Saudi Arabia have sought to sooth concerns ahead of the gathering, experts are sceptical whether an agreement can be reached.
A previous attempt at a production cap in April were derailed by Iran, which refused to join in talks as it ramped up out output following years of Western-imposed nuclear-linked sanctions.
- Wahab Riaz and Muhammad Waseem help New York Strikers strike down ...03:15 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Indian singer Jubin Nautiyal rushed to hospital with multiple ...02:49 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Punjab education minister shares update on early winter vacations, ...02:22 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Encouraging Players to Continue With Risk-Taking Can Be Difficult in ...01:47 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Meet Waleed Malik, Pakistani doctor who sets new record with 29 gold ...01:24 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Ayesha Omar’s bold pictures at beach set internet on fire11:58 AM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Meet Pakistan's most streamed Spotify artist of the year08:36 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Pakistani TikTok sensation Ayesha's new videos shock her fans09:59 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022