Dr Arif Alvi sworn in as 13th president of Pakistan
The oath was administered by Chief Justice of Pakistan Saqib Nisar in a ceremony attended by top civil-military brass including Prime Minister Imran Khan, Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa and Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Gen Zubair Hayat.
He will take over the office from Mamnoon Hussain, the former president who completed his tenure on Saturday.
Alvi—the PTI’s Karachi leader who was elected to the National Assembly as a candidate from the NA-247 constituency, resigned from his seat earlier this week.
He was born in 1949 and a dentist by profession, Arif is among the founding members of the PTI.
He served as the secretary general of PTI from 2006 to 2013.
Alvi was elected as the member of the National Assembly of Pakistan for the first time in General Election 2013 on a PTI ticket from the NA-250 constituency of Karachi.
- Asad Umar summoned to appear before LHC for anti-judiciary speech01:10 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Curtain falls on Pakistan’s flood response centre12:15 PM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Sialkot airport closed for two weeks for runway repairs11:15 AM | 5 Dec, 2022
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan reveals why he was arrested in India09:41 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- Aima Baig drops teaser of latest cover of "Kahani Suno"08:24 PM | 4 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022