Operation Olive Branch: Turkish military helicopter shot down in Syria operation (VIDEO)
Video: YPG Media pic.twitter.com/N9mK5LcgYb
— Kurdistan 24 English (@K24English) February 10, 2018
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirmed the downing of the helicopter, according to Turkish media. "A little earlier, one of our helicopters was shot down," he told reporters, adding that those who are responsible for the incident would pay a "heavier price."
The president, however, did not specify who was responsible for the attack.
Two Turkish soldiers were killed, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has stated, Hurriyet Daily News reported.
Syria war: Deadliest day for Turkey as eight ... 03:43 PM | 4 Feb, 2018
ANKARA - Turkey has suffered its deadliest day yet in northern Syria since launching its offensive against YPG Kurdish ...
The Operation Olive Branch in the Afrin region in northern Syria entered its fourth week on Saturday. The campaign followed Ankara’s promises to “strangle” the new Border Security Force (BSF) in Syria.
Earlier in January, the US-led coalition announced that it would help create the 30,000-strong BSF, half of which would be made up of the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) alliance.
Ankara was angered by the fact that the main force behind the SDF is the Kurdish People’s Protection units (YPG), linked to the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK). The latter is designated as a terrorist group by Turkey.
The operation has been conducted jointly with Free Syrian Army opposition forces which are friendly to Turkey.
Damascus has firmly condemned the operation as an assault on Syria's sovereignty. Moscow, in turn, has urged all the parties to exercise restraint and called for respect for Syria's territorial integrity.
- Aibak Polo Cup: Finals tomorrow11:59 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- 6th Sheheryar Malik Memorial Pakistan Open Tennis Championship: ...11:40 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Azerbaijan allows tax-free import of Pakistani rice for five years11:37 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Punjab IT minister urges SBP to reverse its decision to suspend DCB ...10:34 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Veteran writer Mustansar Hussain Tarar hospitalised with chest pain10:02 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Tariq Teddy’s family gets Rs3 million cheque06:40 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Adnan Siddiqui asks Sajal Aly not to 'stoke unnecessary controversy' ...06:36 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Watch - Shehnaaz Gill wins hearts for consoling a weeping fan04:15 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022
- India falls behind Pakistan, Myanmar in Global Hunger Index02:30 PM | 16 Oct, 2022