Operation Olive Branch: Turkish military helicopter shot down in Syria operation (VIDEO)
Video: YPG Media pic.twitter.com/N9mK5LcgYb
— Kurdistan 24 English (@K24English) February 10, 2018
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirmed the downing of the helicopter, according to Turkish media. "A little earlier, one of our helicopters was shot down," he told reporters, adding that those who are responsible for the incident would pay a "heavier price."
The president, however, did not specify who was responsible for the attack.
Two Turkish soldiers were killed, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has stated, Hurriyet Daily News reported.
Syria war: Deadliest day for Turkey as eight ... 03:43 PM | 4 Feb, 2018
ANKARA - Turkey has suffered its deadliest day yet in northern Syria since launching its offensive against YPG Kurdish ...
The Operation Olive Branch in the Afrin region in northern Syria entered its fourth week on Saturday. The campaign followed Ankara’s promises to “strangle” the new Border Security Force (BSF) in Syria.
Earlier in January, the US-led coalition announced that it would help create the 30,000-strong BSF, half of which would be made up of the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) alliance.
Ankara was angered by the fact that the main force behind the SDF is the Kurdish People’s Protection units (YPG), linked to the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK). The latter is designated as a terrorist group by Turkey .
The operation has been conducted jointly with Free Syrian Army opposition forces which are friendly to Turkey .
Damascus has firmly condemned the operation as an assault on Syria's sovereignty. Moscow, in turn, has urged all the parties to exercise restraint and called for respect for Syria's territorial integrity.
- Iran ready to talks with Saudi Arabia, Gulf countries: Javad Zarif12:02 AM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Imran Khan discusses digital media with youth at PM House09:59 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- AJK snowfall: Neelum, Leepa, Bhedi declared calamity-hit areas09:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FO summons Indian diplomat to reject mischievous portrayal of ...08:58 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FM Qureshi reaches Qatar after conclusion of successful US visit08:51 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019