Washington 'wages diplomatic war' on Islamabad after police want US diplomat on ECL
The action came after the authorities in Pakistan initiated a process to put the name of US defence and air attaché Col Joseph Emanuel Hall, who killed a youth by hitting a motorbike, on Exit Control List (ECL).
The US administration has communicated the decision to authorities concerned in Pakistan, Geo News reported citing a senior official, adding that the recent the warning had nothing to do with the road accident by the diplomat.
The American has reportedly prepared a new code of conduct under which the Pakistani staff would have to make movement within 25-mile radius. The diplomats will need prior permission from US authorities if they want to go beyond the set limit.
The new restriction will be imposed in May, creating difficulties for Pakistani staff in doing their jobs, while one month notice in this regard has been sent to all the four consulates apart from the embassy in the US.
Under the new code of conduct, the Pakistani officials would also need to keep their accommodation within the 20-mile radius of the embassy and consulates.
The US State Department has denied placing restrictions on the Pakistani diplomats, Voice of America reported.
On Saturday, a car carrying the American diplomat hit a motorcycle in Islamabad, killing one man, Ateeq on the spot and injuring another.
Pakistani dies after US consulate vehicle hits ... 06:18 PM | 7 Apr, 2018
ISLAMABAD - A man dies of injuries sustained after his motorbike was hit by a vehicle of an American diplomat in the ...
Colonel Emmanuel was driving the car when the accident took place in Islamabad on April 7. The police registered a case against the American diplomat at the Kohsar Police Station on behalf of victim's father, Mohammed Idrees.
On Sunday, the Foreign Office on Sunday summoned American Ambassador to Pakistan David Hale to lodge a formal protest against the incident. According to a statement, the Foreign Ministry said that “justice will take its course” in accordance with local and international laws.
It said Hale expressed his sympathy and sadness over the loss of life and assured cooperation in the investigation.
Interior ministry moved to put US diplomat's name ... 10:26 AM | 10 Apr, 2018
ISLAMABAD - A written request has been sent to Ministry of Interior to place the name of a US diplomat, who ran his ...
On Monday, the Islamabad police sent a written request to Ministry of Interior to place the name of a US diplomat on the no-fly list.
- Over 23mn children to be vaccinated against polio in nationwide ...01:13 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- MOFA rejects assertions made against Pakistan by ex-Canadian minister12:27 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Tokyo Olympics: Lamont Marcell Jacobs creates history as first ...11:58 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prayer leader arrested for attempt to rape two minor girls in ...11:27 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Pakistan to get 3.5mn doses of Chinese COVID vaccines in two days: ...10:49 AM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Mustafa Qureshi, wife Rubina Qureshi test positive for coronavirus04:47 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Alizeh Shah’s flying kiss video goes viral04:21 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Katrina Kaif wins over internet with superb dance moves (VIDEO)02:40 PM | 1 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021