One person hurt in Norway mosque shooting; 'White terrorist' arrested
The shooting occurred at the al-Noor Islamic centre in the town of Baerum, an Oslo suburb.
Police said there was no indication that more people were involved.
"One of our members has been shot by a white man with a helmet and uniform," Irfan Mushtaq, head of the mosque, told local paper Budstikka.
The man suspected of opening fire at a mosque in the Norwegian capital of Oslo on Saturday has expressed right-wing sympathies online, the police said in a news conference Sunday.
Superintendent Rune Skjold told reporters the suspect, described only as a Norwegian man in his 20s, has praised figures like Vidkun Quisling, the leader of Norway under Nazi occupation during World War II.
The shooting is being investigated as a "possible act of terrorism," police said.
The man has been charged with the murder of a woman found dead in his home and is also facing an attempted murder charge in the shooting at Al-Noor Islamic Center in Oslo .
US must condemn White supremacy, racism: Trump 09:59 PM | 5 Aug, 2019
WASHINGTON – US President Donald Trump called Monday for all Americans to condemn white supremacy after two shootings ...
Earlier this year the Islamic centre implemented extra security measures following the massacre of more than 50 Muslim worshipers at two New Zealand mosques by a White terrorist.
In 2011, the anti-Muslim neo-Nazi Anders Behring Breivik massacred 77 people in Norway’s worst peacetime atrocity, the majority of them teenagers at a leftwing youth camp.
Norwegian police said earlier they were trying to determine whether there were wider threats to other mosques. Extra personnel were deployed Sunday to protect mosques and Eid celebrations.
- Palestinian-Israeli conflict: Pakistan urges UN to play its central ...12:31 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Cameras installed in Islamabad police uniforms to improve performance11:51 AM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Petition filed by woman to halt the finale of Mere Paas Tum Ho11:46 AM | 23 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019