SC rejects Aamir Liaquat's apology in contempt case, indictment on Sept 27
The top court heard contempt petitions filed in the backdrop of 'hate speech' by the media personality against his fellow media persons against politicians.
The petitioners, including anchorperson Shahzeb Khanzada, Mir Ibrahim-ur-Rehman and Najam Aziz Sethi, accused Hussain of violating the court orders issued on March 28, 2017 directing him not to derogatory language for individuals.
The apex court has decided to indict the minister in the contempt case on September 27. The chief justice, during the hearing, inquired if anyone could continue as lawmaker after the indictment, to which, the lawyer for the PTI leader replied in negative.
During the last hearing on August 10, a three-member bench of the apex court had also been shown the video clips of Liaquat - who is set to take oath as a lawmaker in next few days - in which he was allegedly inciting violence and hatred and taunted Khanzada by labeling him as 'Google Baba'.
Aamir Liaquat served show-cause notice for ... 12:06 PM | 10 Aug, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf's lawmaker-elect and scholar, Aamir Liaquat Hussain was served a show cause notice ...
When Liaquat tried to clarify his position, the top judge Mian Saqib Nisar remarked that no drama would be allowed inside the courtroom as the respondent was not occupying any stage for a performance.
However, Liaquat expressed that he had referred to Shahzeb Khanzada as 'Baba' because the term is used as a gesture of respect.
On August 8, the SC slapped a Rs20,000 fine on Liaquat for failing to appear before the apex court. Hearing the case, the Justice Nisar asked Liaquat’s counsel why an arrest warrant should not be issued for the televangelist for not appearing in the court.
- Pakistan to name all development projects after top taxpayers09:59 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- PTI announces 3-day mourning as Naeemul Haque laid to rest in Karachi09:53 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- COVID-19: Coronavirus death toll rises to 1,666 in China09:43 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- UN chief Guterres calls for full respect to human rights in Occupied ...09:36 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- 90,000 Pakistanis get overseas jobs in first 40 days of 202006:01 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- Shahid Afridi and wife welcome 5th baby girl01:41 PM | 15 Feb, 2020
- 10 restaurants in Lahore for a romantic date on V-day12:08 PM | 13 Feb, 2020
- Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas are reportedly expecting their first ...10:26 AM | 13 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019