SC rejects Aamir Liaquat's apology in contempt case, indictment on Sept 27
The top court heard contempt petitions filed in the backdrop of 'hate speech' by the media personality against his fellow media persons against politicians.
The petitioners, including anchorperson Shahzeb Khanzada, Mir Ibrahim-ur-Rehman and Najam Aziz Sethi, accused Hussain of violating the court orders issued on March 28, 2017 directing him not to derogatory language for individuals.
The apex court has decided to indict the minister in the contempt case on September 27. The chief justice, during the hearing, inquired if anyone could continue as lawmaker after the indictment, to which, the lawyer for the PTI leader replied in negative.
During the last hearing on August 10, a three-member bench of the apex court had also been shown the video clips of Liaquat - who is set to take oath as a lawmaker in next few days - in which he was allegedly inciting violence and hatred and taunted Khanzada by labeling him as 'Google Baba'.
Aamir Liaquat served show-cause notice for ... 12:06 PM | 10 Aug, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf's lawmaker-elect and scholar, Aamir Liaquat Hussain was served a show cause notice ...
When Liaquat tried to clarify his position, the top judge Mian Saqib Nisar remarked that no drama would be allowed inside the courtroom as the respondent was not occupying any stage for a performance.
However, Liaquat expressed that he had referred to Shahzeb Khanzada as 'Baba' because the term is used as a gesture of respect.
On August 8, the SC slapped a Rs20,000 fine on Liaquat for failing to appear before the apex court. Hearing the case, the Justice Nisar asked Liaquat’s counsel why an arrest warrant should not be issued for the televangelist for not appearing in the court.
- US wants better relations with Pakistan: Dilawar Syed08:12 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Yashma Gill shares her views regarding Humayun Saeed’s famous ...08:00 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Sindh announces public holidays for Eidul-Adha 202207:31 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan Railways cuts train fares by 30pc on Eidul-Adha06:32 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Nora Fatehi’s new video of playing cricket in saree goes viral06:06 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Fia Khan’s new bold pregnancy photoshoot with family goes viral05:33 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Dolly’s new TikTok video goes viral03:42 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022