Incoming Saudi investment package 'biggest in history': Asad Umar
Addressing an event in Islamabad, the minister said the cabinet would give a go-ahead to the package next week, after which an announcement will be made.
Umar, who has been under fire for not doing enough to repair the faltering economy, said he keeps getting messages from Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman 'through other people to hurry up'.
Responding to a question, the finance minister said he keeps being asked "When will you jail the thieves?" adding that it was the demand of the people of Pakistan.
Umar expressed that members of Pakistan's business, corporate and executive elite, advised him to school Imran Khan to look forward now and stop commenting on corruption.
He, however, said that wherever he comes across a Pakistani citizen, they ask him, 'When will you jail the thieves?'," he said.
Confirming that there is a class divide in the country, Umar said it's a challenge and a double-edged sword.
"You've made a commitment for bringing accountability into society, which demands that if a pickpocket goes to jail for stealing, so does the person who loots the public," he added.
The lawmaker expressed that it was the leadership's responsibility to ensure that such a situation is not created, and a negative outlook does not prevail.
The finance minister said that the government was committed to the welfare of the people.
He said that the government was focusing on economic revival in order to deliver, and that citizens would soon see "visible improvement".
Pakistan and Saudi Arabia have been in talks recently over a bailout package for Islamabad. The premier Imran Khan embarked on his first official visit after assuming charge to the Oil-rich kingdom.
- Neizens troll Sajal Aly for playing Fatimah Jinnah in 'Madar-e-Millat'10:52 PM | 8 Aug, 2022
- Brutal assault by security guard leaves Karachi woman unconscious ...09:29 PM | 8 Aug, 2022
- Sana Javed delights fans with stunning pictures05:51 PM | 8 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani stars celebrate Eidul-Adha in style06:20 PM | 10 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022