Indian journalist shot dead
Karun Misra, the Ambedkarnagar bureau chief of Hindi daily Jan Sandesh Times, was returning to his home district when two motorbike-borne assailants shot at him in Sultanpur, The Hindu reported.
He was rushed to hospital but succumbed to bullet wounds on the way.
UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has ordered Director General of Police Javeed Ahmed to form special teams to arrest Misra’s killers.
The CM also announced one million rupees as ex-gratia compensation for the family of the journalist.
Uttar Pradesh ranks high in terms of assaults on journalists. The Indian state accounted for 74 per cent of the total attacks on journalists in 2014, and this incident comes close on the heels of the Samajwadi Party government starting a helpline (1880) for the service of journalists.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:26 AM | 20 May, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 20 May 202208:10 AM | 20 May, 2022
- New Zealand pays Pakistan compensation for abruptly ending 2021 tour11:57 PM | 19 May, 2022
- Russia using new generation of lasers in Ukraine to burn up drones11:25 PM | 19 May, 2022
- Minimum fine of Rs2,000 for traffic violation in Lahore10:49 PM | 19 May, 2022
- Sunny Leone’s video of getting body massage goes viral06:50 PM | 19 May, 2022
- 'Willing to play Maryam Nawaz on-screen' – Saba Qamar reveals her ...05:55 PM | 19 May, 2022
- Yumna Zaidi and Merub Ali win hearts with latest video05:09 PM | 19 May, 2022
- Dollar hits all-time high at Rs19212:45 PM | 12 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022