Indian journalist shot dead
Karun Misra, the Ambedkarnagar bureau chief of Hindi daily Jan Sandesh Times, was returning to his home district when two motorbike-borne assailants shot at him in Sultanpur, The Hindu reported.
He was rushed to hospital but succumbed to bullet wounds on the way.
UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has ordered Director General of Police Javeed Ahmed to form special teams to arrest Misra’s killers.
The CM also announced one million rupees as ex-gratia compensation for the family of the journalist.
Uttar Pradesh ranks high in terms of assaults on journalists. The Indian state accounted for 74 per cent of the total attacks on journalists in 2014, and this incident comes close on the heels of the Samajwadi Party government starting a helpline (1880) for the service of journalists.
- PCB issues health and safety protocols for PSL 202207:44 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern cancels wedding due to Omicron surge07:03 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- WATCH: Pakistan Navy warship PNS Tabuk visits Bahrain06:20 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Can’t sleep at nights due to rising inflation, says PM Imran Khan05:50 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Fatima Sana becomes Pakistan’s first woman player to win ICC award05:24 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Asim Azhar wishes Merub Ali on her birthday04:19 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Mawra Hocane spills the beans on her wedding plans03:00 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Hina Altaf’s father passes away08:39 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021