Pakistani expats send home $9.7 billion in six months
Remittances amounted to $9.1 billion in the same six months of the preceding fiscal year, Khaleej Times reported. They amounted to almost $1.63 billion in December alone, which is 2.8% higher than the remittances received in the preceding month, SBP data shows.
Pakistanis based in foreign countries sent home $18.4 billion in 2014-15, which translated into a YoY increase of 16.5%. Inflows from Saudi Arabia at $2.9 billion were the largest source of remittances in July-December, up9.3% from the corresponding period of the last year.
Remittances received in July-December from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) increased 9.4% to $2.1 billion on a YoY basis. Inflows from the UAE had registered the largest increase (26.1%) from any major remittance-sending country in 2014-15, SBP data shows.
In the first six months of the current fiscal year, remittances from Dubai have surged 42% YoY.
Remittances from the United States and the United Kingdom remained $1.3 billion and $1.2 billion, respectively, in July-December. The YoY change in remittances from the US and the UK has been -4.4% and 3.2%, respectively.
In the presence of a wide gap between the rates of investment returns in the United States and Pakistan, US workers of Pakistani origin would prefer investing their savings in Pakistan until recently something that resulted in healthy annual growth in worker remittances from the United States for many years.
- Russia and neighbours begin military drills on Afghanistan border07:58 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- PM Imran, CJP Gulzar take notice of mob attack on Hindu temple in RYK06:29 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Looking to upgrade your device on a budget? TECNO’s Spark 7 series ...05:01 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- 'Nothing to worry about,' FM Qureshi on not getting a call from US ...04:52 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Kinza Hashmi opens up about dealing with relentless trolling04:18 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Alizeh Shah and Ali Rehman Khan to star in upcoming drama03:20 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Barbie debuts dolls in honour of real-life pandemic heroes02:50 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021