Pakistani bowling, Babar's century topple Sri Lanka in first ODI
DUBAI - Pakistani bowlers tore through the Sri Lankan batting order, taking the team to an 83-run victory in the first ODI at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium on Friday.
Hasan Ali and Rumman Raees spearheaded the Pakistani assault with their impressive performances, taking 3-36 and 3-49 respectively to restrict Sri Lanka to 209 in 50 overs.
Pakistan scored 292 for six in their 50 overs, led by a brilliant 103 by Babar Azam and helped by a quick-fire 81 off 61 by Shoaib Malik.
Earlier, Babar Azam returned to form with a brilliant century, while Shoaib Malik hit a rapid fifty, to propel Pakistan to 292-6 in the first one-day international against Sri Lanka in Dubai on Friday.
Azam finished with 103 from 131 deliveries for his sixth ODI hundred, as Malik smashed a 61-ball 81 as the pair added 139 for the fourth wicket after Sri Lanka had won the toss and opted to bowl first.
Malik joined Azam at 124-3 and smashed five fours and two towering sixes before holing out at deep midwicket off the last ball of the 47th over.
Azam completed his hundred off 128 balls in the next over with a single, but three runs later miscued a drive off paceman Suranga Lakmal, who finished with 2-47 from his ten overs.
Azam managed a poor 38 runs in the preceding 2-0 Test-series defeat but batted with guts to prove his credentials as a limited-overs batsman.
The match started at 4pm on Pakistan Standard Time (PST). It will be broadcast live on PTV Sports and Ten Sports. The match will be streamed online on www.en.dailypakistan.com.pk
Pakistan lost 2-0 against Sri Lanka in two matches test series last week. Pakistan and Sri Lanka have played 51 Test matches. Pakistan leads the record with 19 wins while Sri Lanka have emerged victorious 14 times. 18 Test matches between these two sides have ended as draws.
Pakistan’s dominance over Sri Lanka continues in limited-overs as well. The Green Shirts have won 85 ODIs out of 148 against Sri Lanka. On the other hand, Sri Lanka have won just 58 matches. In T20Is Pakistan have won 10 out of 15.
Pakistan XI - Ahmed Shehzad, Fakhar Zaman, Babar Azam, Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Hafeez, Sarfraz Ahmed (capt, wk), Imad Wasim, Rumman Raees, Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali, Junaid Khan
Sri Lanka XI: Upul Tharanga (capt), Niroshan Dickwella, Kusal Mendis, Lahiru Thirimanne, Dinesh Chandimal, Milinda Siriwardana, Thisara Perera, Suranga Lakmal, Vandersay, Akila Dananjaya, Lahiru Gamage
Pakistan: Ahmed Shehzad, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Hafeez, Babar Azam, Shoaib Malik, Sarfraz Ahmed(c & wk), Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan, Fahim Ashraf , Hasan Ali, Rumman Raees, Junaid Khan, Haris Sohail, Imam-ul-Haq, Usman Khan.
Sri Lanka: Upul Tharanga (c), Dinesh Chandimal, Niroshan Dickwella (wk), Lahiru Thirimanne, Kusal Mendis, Milinda Siriwardana, Chamara Kapugedera, Thisara Perera, Seekkuge Prasanna, Nuwan Pradeep, Suranga Lakmal, Dushmantha Chameera, Vishwa Fernando, Akila Dananjaya, Jeffrey Vandersay.
- India’s first PM Jawaharlal Nehru’s statue vandalised by Hindutva ...11:02 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Leaked phone call allegedly between Malik Riaz and Asif Zardari goes ...10:47 PM | 28 May, 2022
- PropTech: the inevitable digitization of real estate in Pakistan10:28 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan gets clean chit in drugs case07:47 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Ghana Ali expresses her resentment towards Maryam Nawaz09:12 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Hareem Farooq celebrates birthday in style06:22 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022