Detained US pastor Andrew Brunson freed by Turkish court
Brunson, a Christian missionary who has lived in Turkey for more than two decades, was arrested in 2016 and accused of plotting to overthrow the Erdogan-led government of Turkey; he had rejected the allegations.
'We’re very honoured to have him back with us,' Trump said in response to the release after landing in Ohio for a campaign rally on Friday.
Trump said, 'no deal' was made with Turkish officials to secure Brunson’s release.
'We’re very happy to have him … I hear he’s in very good shape,' said the Republican president.
The Turkish court let the 50-year-old off the hook because the pastor had already spent nearly two years in detention; an earlier charge of espionage was dropped.
The release is apparently a win-win game for both Ankara and Washington as the former would now seek the support over the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who vanished after visiting the Saudi consulate on October 2.
- PITB signs agreement with UBL as Partner/Settlement bank to ...06:45 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Mohammad Haris set for T20I debut in 6th match against England today06:15 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan gets $132 million debt relief from US amid flood crisis05:19 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Prize money for T20 World Cup 2022 announced05:01 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- TikTok star Alishbah Anjum flaunts a dazzling transformation in new ...04:47 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Saba Qamar sets temperature soaring with new sizzling photos04:20 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Ranveer Singh shuts down separation rumours with Deepika Padukone03:53 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022