Modi stokes new fears of Indian oppression in Occupied Kashmir at BJP rally
At a rally ahead of elections in Maharashtra on Sunday, the Indian PM said that his government stripped the state of its special status in August and imposed restrictions as "necessary steps to maintain security in Jammu and Kashmir".
"Jammu Kashmir and Ladakh aren’t just a piece of land for us," he said, referring to the remote Buddhist enclave that borders China.
Alongside the withdrawal on Aug 5 of constitutional provisions that gave Jammu and Kashmir more autonomy than any other state, the Delhi government has deployed nearly a million troops who have turned the Himalayan region into an open-air detention center.
विपक्ष को चुनौती है कि यदि हिम्मत है तो स्पष्टता के साथ देश के सामने आए और अपने घोषणापत्र में ये ऐलान करे कि वो एक बार फिर जम्मू-कश्मीर और लद्दाख में आर्टिकल 370 को लागू करेंगे।— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) October 13, 2019
अगर आप ये कर सकते हैं तो हिम्मत दिखाइए, वरना घड़ियाली आंसू बहाना बंद कर, देश के साथ खड़े हो जाइए। pic.twitter.com/pXHemJCMzk
He also dared his the Opposition parties, mainly the Congress, to come with clear stand on Article 370, alleging that his political opponents "seem to be speaking one lines of the neighbouring country (Pakistan)". "If you have courage, then announce it in your election manifesto to bring back Article 370," Modi challenged.
Although many curbs, including those on movement have been eased, mobile telephone and internet connections in the Kashmir valley, home to around seven million people, remain cut off.
The lockdown and ban on communications has virtually cut off the Kashmir Valley from the rest of the world. Despite the curbs, Kashmiris have come out on to the streets, and many shops and other commercial establishments in the Kashmir valley have remained mostly shuttered in protests against the withdrawal of the special status.
While the ruling BJP, a political face of Hindu hardline RSS, claims the Kashmir move is all for development. as per the estimates of Kashmir Chamber of Commerce and Industries, the losses in occupied Kashmir since 5th August have crossed over INR 6,000 crore.
China opposes unilateral action in Kashmir, seeks ... 06:52 PM | 9 Oct, 2019
BEIJING - Opposing unilateral action in Kashmir, China said Wednesday that Kashmir issue was a dispute left from ...
- Naftali Bennett brings Netanyahu's 12-year rule to an end, takes over ...01:29 AM | 14 Jun, 2021
- ISPR releases first episode of military reality show ‘60 Hours to ...11:43 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Congress leader's pro-Kashmir remarks draw criticism from BJP09:06 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan condemns Indian army for killing another three Kashmiris07:39 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan felicitates UK on Queen’s 95th official birthday07:02 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Hira Mani opens up about supporting Asim Azhar during recent ...05:40 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic leaves fans stunned with sizzling beach ...03:37 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Tiger Shroff’s mother Ayesha wishes Disha Patani on her birthday12:49 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021