Search

Hepatitis C set to become leading cause of viral deaths worldwide!

10:46 PM | 14 Apr, 2024
Hepatitis C

Recent reports from the World Health Organization (WHO) have highlighted a concerning trend: hepatitis C is nearing the top spot as the leading cause of fatalities among viral diseases globally. While hepatitis B has historically claimed more lives, hepatitis C is now on the verge of surpassing it.

According to a report by WHO, in 2022 alone, hepatitis B and C combined resulted in 1.3 million deaths worldwide. The alarming rise in fatalities attributed to these viruses underscores the urgent need for action to combat their spread.

Experts warn that if immediate measures are not taken, hepatitis-related deaths could outnumber those caused by tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and malaria combined by the year 2040. Hepatitis viruses, particularly hepatitis C, pose a significant public health threat due to their ability to spread through blood contact.

The prevalence of viral hepatitis has been on the rise in low-income countries, where access to prevention and treatment measures remains limited. However, even in developed nations, the virus is spreading rapidly.

Among the ten countries reporting the highest number of hepatitis cases, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Nigeria, the Philippines, Russia, and Vietnam are included. The burden of the disease is not limited to these nations, as hepatitis C continues to gain ground worldwide.

Currently, hepatitis C accounts for 83% of hepatitis-related deaths globally, with hepatitis B contributing to the remaining 17%. Recognizing the symptoms of hepatitis, including fatigue, jaundice, and nausea, is crucial for early diagnosis and treatment.

The primary modes of hepatitis transmission include contaminated blood transfusions, shared needles, and the use of contaminated medical equipment. Additionally, hepatitis B can be passed from infected mothers to their newborns.

While vaccines for hepatitis B are available, many countries struggle to provide widespread access to them. Treatment options for both hepatitis B and C exist, but accessibility remains a challenge for the majority of affected individuals.

Efforts to curb the spread of hepatitis must include improved access to vaccination, screening, and treatment services. By addressing the root causes of transmission and expanding healthcare infrastructure, countries can work towards reducing the burden of viral hepatitis and preventing unnecessary loss of life.

Daily Pakistan Global Web Desk

Advertisement

Today Open Market Currency Rates in Pakistan - Rupee to US Dollar, Euro, Pound, Riyal - 21 May 2024

Pakistani currency rates against US Dollar and other currencies on May 21, 2024 (Tuesday) in open market.

USD to PKR rate today

US dollar was being quoted at 277.7 for buying and 280.35 for selling.

Euro moved up to 298 for buying and 301 for selling while British Pound rate is 350.5 for buying, and 354 for selling.

UAE Dirham AED was at 75.25 and Saudi Riyal came down to 73.50.

Today’s currency exchange rates in Pakistan - 21 May 2024

Currency Symbol Buying Selling
US Dollar USD 277.4 280.35
Euro EUR 298 301
UK Pound Sterling GBP 350.5 354
U.A.E Dirham AED 75.25 76
Saudi Riyal SAR 73.5 74.25
Australian Dollar AUD 183 184.80
Bahrain Dinar BHD 739 747.8
Canadian Dollar CAD 203 205
China Yuan CNY 38.51 38.89
Danish Krone DKK 40.53 40.65
Hong Kong Dollar HKD 35.65 36.31
Indian Rupee INR 3.34 3.44
Japanese Yen JPY 1.91 1.99
Kuwaiti Dinar KWD 913.28 922.28
Malaysian Ringgit MYR 58.69 59.29
New Zealand Dollar NZD 169.45 171.45
Norwegian Krone NOK 25.67 25.97
Omani Riyal OMR 730.59 738.59
Qatari Riyal QAR 76.41 77.11
Singapore Dollar SGD 203 205
Swedish Korona SEK 25.67 25.97
Swiss Franc CHF 309.01 311.51
Thai Baht THB 7.57 7.72

Advertisement

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Sign up for Newsletter