Nawaz Sharif records statement in Al-Azizia reference
The supreme leader of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz arrived at the court amid tight surveillance and is recording his statement under Section 342 of the Criminal Procedure Code.
In his statement, the former premier expressed that he had served as prime minister thrice, chief minister, finance minister and opposition leader as well but added that he did not hold any public office from 1999 to 2013, and was in exile from 2000 to 2007.
When the court remarked that due to holding public office, Nawaz Sharif was the most influential individual in his family, the former premier replied that it is the perception of the investigator that I was the most influential man.
He, however, admitted that he had submitted the wealth tax returns.
The PML-N supreme leader told the court he needs time to consult his lawyer Khawaja Haris before answering five unanswered questions asked by the court.
During the previous hearing, Judge Arshad Malik remarked that accountability court would inform apex court about the progress in remaining two corruption references against the Sharif family and would seek another extension.
As per the deadline set by the apex court, the NAB court had to wind up both the Al-Azizia and Flagship reference filed by the National Accountability Bureau by November 17th, however, the court will miss the deadline as well.
As many as three references have been filed against the former premier in line with the directives of the Supreme Court in the Panama Papers case verdict – a decision that ousted Nawaz Sharif from the PM House in July last year.
The accountability court judge Muhammad Bashir had sentenced elder Sharif to ten years in the Avenfield reference. However, the conviction was suspended by a two-member bench of the Islamabad High Court.
NAB has moved supreme court against the decision of the Islamabad High Court which would hear the case on December 12.
- Private schools in KP reopened after five months closure12:14 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Toshakhana reference: Nawaz challenges NAB's summoning in IHC11:37 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- COAS, Bill Gates discuss Pakistan's Covid-19 response, resumption of ...10:59 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- FBR directed to stop menace of fake and flying invoices10:10 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Momina Mustehsan, Muneeb Butt call out Kangana Ranaut for spreading ...05:43 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- FIR lodged against Saba Qamar and Bilal Saeed05:09 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- Abida Parveen, Ali Zafar and Humayun Saeed among others honoured ...04:39 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020